UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WhatTheFehl

September 2018 Meet Planning

Are we doing this y'all? Is there a planning thread I missed, or has anyone taken the initiative to start planning? I remember there being a lot of interest in an Erie, PA meet. I will help plan and scope things out if that works for those who want to go. We just need to get the ball rolling if this is going to happen.

By the way, in spite of it being a small meet the June meet was still a fantastic time and I think one of the best meets I've been to... Let's keep it going!

I don't know why Erie keeps coming up but it does. In the past I've been adamantly opposed to Erie for a meet but now I think I could finally set up something for a summer meet here that would be pretty kick ass.

Summer, like I can't make anything happen for this fall, and we would have to give up our yard time because there's not a single yard here that would welcome us to walk around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Itinerary would be something like this IF I could pull it off:

Friday:

Check in, hang out and get drunk in motel parking lot

Saturday:

Drive to our state park (30 minutesish from any motel) and party at the peninsula with the typical hamburger/hot dog thing we usually do. Have a couple of kayaks waiting for those who wish to go on the water, beaches 10 minutes or less away.

(and/or)

Saturday:

Waldameer amusement park (not cheap but not Disney expensive and definately a cool place) with some picnic tables off to the side to do the hamburger/hot dog thing.

Saturday night:

Motel parking lot, get drunk

Sunday:

Lake Erie Speedway SCCA Autocross in the morning, a nice lunch at a restaurant near the highway and head home (providing the cars survive the Autocross)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we can arrange something relatively early in the year or by the end of this one I'll bring it up at an SCCA meeting and see if we could ensure the day would be Sunday and that street class runs last so new drivers can hop into cars with SCCA members in the first couple of classes for ride-alongs before heading out onto a course as a driver.

As things develop maybe I can make a contact at our drag strip and set something up there as well but that place is rat shit nasty, the track is hillbilly nowhere and is patchy blacktop.

I like the autocross bit! I feel like the junkyard(s) run is sort of out signature move though. There's nothing in the direction of the state park either? I'm guessing I wouldn't be alone naying the amusement park.

Edit: looking at the map, the only thing near the park is lake erie. Hmm.

Edited by vipmiller803

Here's where I stand.

NEEEED inside a 2 hour radius of my place (Erie fits the bill)

and i'll probably only be able to make a day trip out of it.

so that said, if its in Toledo or whaever thats fine. but this is a pretty insane year for me.

Here's where I stand.

NEEEED inside a 2 hour radius of my place (Erie fits the bill)

and i'll probably only be able to make a day trip out of it.

so that said, if its in Toledo or whaever thats fine. but this is a pretty insane year for me.

that’s how my year has been, hence not even attempting the June meet (which is the first time in years without much wiggle room). Not that it matters a whole lot here but there’s a good chance that I won’t make this one either, based on the likelihood that it’s 75% chance going to fall on not the one weekend I have off. However, I’m still excited to see what happens. I miss you chuckleheads.