94 lumina hvac controls not working

NCTyphoonKid

On my z34 I’ve been having some issues with the hvac controls, nothing works no fan, no heat or air not even the lights for them. I switched it out with another unit and same thing I’ve got nothing. All fuses look ok anyone have this happen before. Also the dash lights don’t come on until I turn the radio on not sure why also but when they are on there super dim

Also the dash lights don’t come on until I turn the radio on not sure why also but when they are on there super dim

You've got a poor ground situation for the cluster, the circuit is looking for a path to ground, when you turn on the radio that circuit is being used as the ground path. The radio circuit is also a load, that is the reason why all the lights are dim.

If I turn the key not all the way on I can get the lights to come on for the hvac stuff but nothing works so I think it gets some power to have those come on, anyone know a good place where the grounds would be on one of these

Has this issue always been there in the time you've owned the vehicle or did it appear after you *did* something?

I usually phase this a little more gently:

"Was there any work done to the machine/vehicle before these symptoms started?"

But from now on I'm going with how you put it, air quotes and all!

He did but I haven’t found any messed up wiring other than the radio wiring but I have replaced that with factory wiring

It’s been like this since I bought it nothing I’ve done to it

I see,

this is the first time you've brought up the matter since picking up the car.

Do you have a factory service manual for the car?  trying to diagnose electrical issues is going to be difficult without knowing where the various splices & ground location points are.

I see,

this is the first time you've brought up the matter since picking up the car.

Do you have a factory service manual for the car? trying to diagnose electrical issues is going to be difficult without knowing where the various splices & ground location points are.

I’ve just not got around to fixing it up until now been trying to fix everything else and I do have the 94 lumina manual set

Well look in the manual, section 8/8A is electrical, electrical wiring diagrams, look in the index, page for Headlight/foglights, 

in my book it is page 8A/100, yours may be the same,on the last page after the diagrams you should come across a page that is titled *Component Locations*......lets you know on which page to look to find where all of the splices & grounds are pictured. Directly after Component Location should be the start of the Troubleshooting section.

While we're on the subject, my 93 wont blow air out the vents. Anybody run into a common place to look for a vacuum leak? Thanks and good luck, fellow Lumina driver!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

While we're on the subject, my 93 wont blow air out the vents. Anybody run into a common place to look for a vacuum leak? Thanks and good luck, fellow Lumina driver!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is it blowing at the defroster and floor?

You'd have to check the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum ball in the fender.

• 1 month later...