Digital dash and HUD

mybluecutty

I have a 1993 convertible Cutlass. I have bought the interior and other items out of this 1988 Pace car that will be crushed per this vocational school’s agreement with GM.

A couple of questions

The HUD....do I need the harness plugs from the pace car and splice them?

The digital dash, is it plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

post-3380-0-22254500-1528942679_thumb.jpeg

post-3380-0-29038000-1528942709_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a 1993 convertible Cutlass. I have bought the interior and other items out of this 1988 Pace car that will be crushed per this vocational school’s agreement with GM.

A couple of questions

The HUD....do I need the harness plugs from the pace car and splice them?

The digital dash, is it plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

I'd get all associated wiring with the HUD.  I'm not sure if the dash is plug and play to your car or not.  Where is this car?  Are you allowed to take other parts of this car?  I'd like to get the front bumper if possible.

I've had it!  I'm so sick of stupid crap like this happening, what the hell is wrong with this world!  I'm in a very bad pissy mood and my Super Duty tonite and this is the last straw!  I'M DONE BEING NICE TO SHITTY PEOPLE!

It may be pertinent to point out that nobody is angry with mybluecutty. We just see really rare cars like this die all the time. Obviously he inquired about saving it because he knew it was an agreement with the school.

Oh yes, definitely!  I'm not at all angry with him, just angry that these rare cars are getting scrapped and angry at the rest of the world for people not caring about these cars in general.  I'm also angry about other people not respecting our personal property.  I apologize to him and anyone else who was offended, that was not my intent.

Oh heavens no, you're completely justified being angered about a pace car 'vert getting crushed due to B.S. politics. I'm livid.

Edited by Imp558

My day and now night just keeps getting worse.  I think ignorance is bliss should be my goal from now on.  Hang on, I gotta go throw up now after seeing that.

My day and now night just keeps getting worse.  I think ignorance is bliss should be my goal from now on.  Hang on, I gotta go throw up now after seeing that.

Yeah...

post-1424-0-86335700-1528953463_thumb.jpg

post-1424-0-76148000-1528953474_thumb.jpg

I’m not here to anger anyone, just trying to get all the pieces I need before it goes bye bye.

I tried to buy the car straight up, no dice. There is a contract with GM that stated that is must be crushed with proof.

I posted the pic of the VIN. It’s a dead VIN. I’ve researched that too.

It’s a bit different than mine. The top and top frame is different and the windshield appears different too.

post-3380-0-18137000-1528970800_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Would they let you purchase the entire convertible roof assembly?

if so take it.

something small.....pull the parking brake pedal pad........it says *pump to set*. It's in decent condition, the later cars don't have that script on it

I’m not here to anger anyone, just trying to get all the pieces I need before it goes bye bye.

I tried to buy the car straight up, no dice. There is a contract with GM that stated that is must be crushed with proof.

It’s a bit different than mine. The top and top frame is different and the windshield appears different too.

I didn't handle that very well, I apologize.  I was never angry with you at all, just angry at the situation.  I commend you for inquiring about saving the car, we need more passionate and intelligent people like you who recognized the car for it's rarity, thank you sir.

It's very upsetting to see this car get destroyed.  For me personally, I've seen a lot of really rare W's get scrapped over a 2 or 3 year period and just tired seeing it happen.

It is my understanding the structural integrity wasn’t strong enough to withstand a 35 mph impact and gm had to recoup them. They haven’t got them all however. If it was purely a design concept, GM never would have placed a VIN tag on them.

This particular car has about 4400 miles on it.

That car is one of only 50 1988 verts produced.  All of them were recalled because of structural integrity issues and most of those were destroyed.  People speculate this is why there was no 1989 vert...they had to add a lot more support to the body.  There are only a few examples left.  GM did loan some of them (and other cars) to vocational schools under a binding agreement that they be destroyed after their useful vocational life.  Owning one of the remaining 88 verts is my personal holy grail of W-body ownership.

It is my understanding the structural integrity wasn’t strong enough to withstand a 35 mph impact and gm had to recoup them. They haven’t got them all however. If it was purely a design concept, GM never would have placed a VIN tag on them.

The 50 were actually sold to dealerships, then recalled.  I doubt many of the convertible specific parts would fit your 93.

No sense getting mad over this being crushed. It's rare, but also an insurance nightmare for GM since it was just made to showcase the car. Something breaks, GM gets sued. If they had not given this to the Vocational school, this would be have already been a toaster back in 89. Be glad it survived this long and people may be able to get parts.

Remember, rare does not equal valuable either, and Value is in the eye of the beholder. I have two cardboard boxes here from 1968. One held libby glasses and the other held a Tonka dump truck. The libby one is much rare than the Tonka one, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone to buy the Libby, but I could sell the tonka one for $100-300 on ebay pretty easily. does the rarity mean I should keep the Libby and not turn it into a fire starter? Nope. 

Now, if I had access to that car, and was allowed to purchase/take parts from it, I would take:

- HUD/Gauges/Radio/Wiring/Switches related to it.

- Doors

- Bumpers and cladding

- Tail Lights

- Possibly trunk lid 

- All convertible mechanisms and quarter windows

- Windshield top trim or upper windshield cut

- Any mint interior items

Basically, anything that made it a Pace car convertible that was removable. You can always find another coupe and convert it using the parts you remove, and the support bracing from a later year convertible. This assumes that you have the means to do it (You are at a vocational school, so you probably do. If not, that would make a great project)

• Like 3

Yup exactly as others have said, its 1 of 50 - all were recalled, if not for crash worthyness, but also fit and finish because of the lack of support after cutting off the top (I've read about doors/tops not closing because of misalignment due to unexpected bending/twisting) . These were made to attract attention to the then new FWD Cutlass. I guess depending on the state you could have it as an off road type vehicle / trailer it anywhere you went if it weren't for that agreement. I'd think the agreement was so old though now, would they even care... heck Olds isn't even around anymore (I would have thought the agreement would be through Olds since as I remember it was early on that they recalled these)!

Too bad they can't do a wink wink nudge nudge with a crusher, and say it was destroyed when it really 'disappeared'. Just get a black Cutlass to crush in its place! ha...

As far as I've read, lots of the stuff on those is quite unique. Look where the top switch is (think I can see it) and look at the window switches even (late 80's style). Back window is not glass, rear quarter windows are supposed to be custom hand ground down to fit the top.

Interior matches my colour and looks even better - man would love to snag all that!

• Like 3

I've had it!  I'm so sick of stupid crap like this happening, what the hell is wrong with this world!  I'm in a very bad pissy mood and my Super Duty tonite and this is the last straw!  I'M DONE BEING NICE TO SHITTY PEOPLE!

I`m not above stealing from a school.

Not really directed at you OP but would anyone happen to know where to begin to look in order to speak with a GM rep in this dept?

• Like 3

I’d try to get everything convertible related they’ll let you get. Many of those parts, like the top and rear quarter windows are unique to that specific year. If you could get all of those pieces, and had money to burn, you could replicate the car using another body.

No sense getting mad over this being crushed. It's rare, but also an insurance nightmare for GM since it was just made to showcase the car. Something breaks, GM gets sued. If they had not given this to the Vocational school, this would be have already been a toaster back in 89. Be glad it survived this long and people may be able to get parts.

Remember, rare does not equal valuable either, and Value is in the eye of the beholder. I have two cardboard boxes here from 1968. One held libby glasses and the other held a Tonka dump truck. The libby one is much rare than the Tonka one, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone to buy the Libby, but I could sell the tonka one for $100-300 on ebay pretty easily. does the rarity mean I should keep the Libby and not turn it into a fire starter? Nope. 

Now, if I had access to that car, and was allowed to purchase/take parts from it, I would take:

- HUD/Gauges/Radio/Wiring/Switches related to it.

- Doors

- Bumpers and cladding

- Tail Lights

- Possibly trunk lid 

- All convertible mechanisms and quarter windows

- Windshield top trim or upper windshield cut

- Any mint interior items

Basically, anything that made it a Pace car convertible that was removable. You can always find another coupe and convert it using the parts you remove, and the support bracing from a later year convertible. This assumes that you have the means to do it (You are at a vocational school, so you probably do. If not, that would make a great project)

I get made fun of a lot at work when people ask me about my W's.  They make that same mistake and I have to correct them, they are rare due to low production and option combinations, not worth a lot yet or maybe never.  I'm very passionate about these cars and really new cars don't interest me that much anymore unless it's a 911 Turbo or Nissan GTR, cars I can't afford.  I get way more excited about the old stuff than new.

• Like 4