Grand Prix Hood Louver Re-Install Pics or Diagram???

1 of 996

I am trying to get my 1990 TSTE back together.  The paint shop took the hood louvers off to paint the hood and did not re-install them properly.

Does anyone have any pics or a diagram on the reassembly sequence?  I am assuming the rubber seal goes on the opening of the hood to cover up the jagged edges but there is a piece cut out that obviously only goes on one way.  Hhhhhhheeeelllllllllp!!!!

Okay, I think I have figured out that the rubber channel is not a seal but a safety piece that does not go on the cut out opening but on the jagged edges of the hood's inner structure.

I don't know about your car specifically but I've never seen a scoop/louver that had an actual gasket underneath. They either have a strip of tape or a bead of sealer. I haven't done a ton of them mind you, so I could be wrong.

I'm surprised the body shop didn't take note of how they came apart so reassembly would be right.

best of luck getting it straight!

Long story but the first paint shop screwed up an easy paint delam job.  Second shop had to undo everything the first shop did.  The car has been apart for about a year and a half because of it.

If I could figure out how to post pics I could show you the rubber strip.  The car had the original paint and was never apart.

If you're on a mobile device you have to click "Full Version" below, then "More Options" toward the lower right. Then the picture posting mystery will be solved. If it's a link to a picture there's an image button that will open a box to enter the link.

PC

I know about the image link but every time I use it I get an X

I posted a photo before but I can't remember what hoop I had to jump through to get it to post.

I've dismantled a few of these at the JY to have spares.  The cut metal of the hood has never had an edge guard in place that I've seen(make sure its not bare metal though).  The louvers have not had any seals or adhesive on them.  The metal drip tray had a very thin gasket that went between the hood and the pan. I doubt you can get a replacement gasket from GM. Probably best to just use outdoor silicone or some gasket maker.  I believe the idea there is to prevent metal to metal contact even if both surfaces are painted they will move around a tiny bit and finally grind down for rust to start..