Transmission lines

W30olds

So does anyone know which line is the return to the transmission from the radiator cooler? I believe it's the top hard line, but wanted to ask before I disconnected it. I'm adding a tranny cooler and I'm having a time figuring out which line is the trans fluid supply and return.....ugh.

Here's a pic of the cooler installed. Now to figure the best way to route the tubing and to figure which line is which. Tomorrow hopefully will get it hooked up.

6a4b57d9849019718535bb228ffb40a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lol,

the lower port on the rad cooler is the inlet side..... [emoji106]

Thanks! I kinda thought that, but wanted to make sure.

Another way to tell is following it back to the trans. The one that mounts parallel to the ground is the return.

That cooler install looks pretty good! How did you mount this?

Another way to tell is following it back to the trans. The one that mounts parallel to the ground is the return.

That cooler install looks pretty good! How did you mount this?

Thanks man! The kit came with push style mounts that go through the radiator and snap on the other end. It's rock solid. Just need to hook up the hoses next

I've often wondered why GM doesn't add transmission coolers to all they're cars from the factory?

Of course they do.  A very efficient, ATF-to-engine-coolant heat exchanger in the radiator.

That's all most vehicles need.  A side benefit is that it heats the fluid for faster warm-up of the trans in the winter.

So many folks slap on an extra cooler without ever testing the trans fluid temperature.

Of course they do. A very efficient, ATF-to-engine-coolant heat exchanger in the radiator.

That's all most vehicles need. A side benefit is that it heats the fluid for faster warm-up of the trans in the winter.

So many folks slap on an extra cooler without ever testing the trans fluid temperature.

I meant auxiliary coolers

I know there's heat exchanged but the faster warm up doesn't make sense to me. In really cold driving it seems it would go the other way before the thermostat opens the first time and heat would be lost to the cold coolant in the radiator.

I'm not a fan of through fin mounting. I've had one bust a condenser before.

Honestly, I think it's outrageous that they cool the trans at the radiator only for anything that can go in heavy traffic. With the "normal" operating temps for the engine reaching as high as 235 degrees and you're cooling with that, the trans must be at 250 at that point. Add stop and go traffic abuse for the trans and it's really cooking. I absolutely attribute my trans surviving my kind of abuse to the cooler I have on it.

There is definitely a calculated market decision there about how long the trans will go while getting dd abuse from a teenage girl, and whether that breakage will fall under warranty. Same thing with the lifetime fluid crap tons of newer cars get.

I drive my GP about 4 days a week in Atlanta traffic. It gets pretty dang hot here in the summer time. With the car running at 195+ sitting on the hwy I'm sure the trans fluid is cooking. So to me the auxiliary cooler makes since. Also I drive my car on the mountain roads near me hiking, camping, ect. and believe the added cooler will help keep the fluid somewhat cooler. Also where it's mounted the fan pulls air through it when the AC is running. Believe it's a good addition in my case.

When I install a cooler the one in the radiator gets eliminated. And like Miller the fin mounting is a problem for me so I make a bracket. With GS rev III there should be a large intercooler so the tranny and oil coolers might end up longitudinal mounted on either side with small fans and temp controllers.

A useful tidbit of info I was told about aux coolers is that the line pressure is low enough one can use trans fluid hose with good clamps in place of metal lines. Might make installing one for someone easier knowing that.

Something I thought would be cool would be to mount the aux cooler inside the fender behind the wheel well plastic and open up actual fender louvers to use for airflow. Not sure if theres enough room though.

• Like 2

Coolers installed. Got it all buttoned up yesterday morning. Pretty easy to do really. I did have to get an additional part. It's an adapter to fit the GM stock cooler hookup. Aparently it's a different size than what is shipped with the cooler I ordered. Oh well $6 @ Pep Boys and I'm all done.

• Like 1