UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jman093

NOS 88-96 Grand Prix applique

I have a brand new NOS applique piece for 88-96 GP coupes. This is the gloss black part on the b-pillar that runs parallel to the door handle. They are frequently peeling or have lost their glossiness. This is for the right hand side. Replacing these really helps make a car pop.

I'd like $85 shipped. It's a lot, but they can't be found NOS cheaper. I'm hoping to get a decent portion of my money back. I purchased this by mistake. I need a left hand side.

post-2678-0-31525400-1528426972_thumb.jpg

post-2678-0-56565800-1528426973_thumb.jpg

post-2678-0-75590900-1528426974_thumb.jpg

7 hours ago, jman093 said:

I really don't know. Might be worth buying a junk one at salvage for cheap first.

Thanks.  The yards around here just don't have any 1st gen Ws.  Guess I'll just have to wait for one to come in.

I wish you only the very best of luck to you in your endeavors to sell this item.... HOWEVER... One can simply remove their current part and spend some time with 180 grit then a finer grit of sand paper, grey primer then Valspar's exterior black gloss paint then exterior clear coat gloss spray paint from Lowes, Home Depot etc and get the same look on existing parts. For way less than $80 one can do both sides if elbow grease is available to use.

Dude I couldve gotten you a JY part for the cost of shipping, they give stuff like this to me at the yard I`m always at. But it wouldnt have been the same shape of course.

@MemphisMan, I`ll grab one next time I`m there. Ive been interested in the same idea you had for those just in case events.

Edited by rich_e777

Hey guys, I've been talking to MemphisMan about this and actually pulled those pieces from a 88 Regal coupe that was in the yard today.  I don't know if the Regal's and GP coupes share the same trim piece but they will NOT directly fit on the Cutlass coupes.  The Regal ones are narrower and shorter in critical areas compared to the ones used on the Cutlass coupes.  Here's what I'm talking about.

The one on the left is from the 88 Regal coupe.  The one on the right is the original one from my 91 International, I pulled it off to see if the Regal one would just bolt on.  The Regal one also has a rubber bumper on it where both my 91 and 89 International parts car do not have the rubber bumper.

IfVhBE.jpg

Top side of the Regal one.

eRBEep.jpg

Top side of the Cutlass one.

2cEPyf.jpg

The Regal one loosely mounted onto my 91 International Cutlass coupe.  Notice how the top does not fit under the drip moulding and there is a substantial gap.

BTPbTv.jpg

The original Cutlass coupe back on for comparison.  No gap and the top tucks nicely under the drip moulding.

aXPuDy.jpg

The Regal one loosely hanging on my car.  There is a substantial gap between the inside of the trim and the screws have no way to grab the mounts to pull it tightly against the body of the B-pillar.  Also, since it is also narrower, there is about an inch maybe even an inch and a half area where it doesn't cover the quarter panel window glass as far as the original Cutlass one.  You can see the exposed dirty area on the glass.  Again, you can see the gap at the top between the top of the cover and the bottom of the quarter glass window trim piece.

dyhMyf.jpg

Original Cutlass piece back on, no gap and the trim piece is covering more of the quarter window glass.

rRdcSW.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

3 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Hey guys, I've been talking to MemphisMan about this and actually pulled those pieces from a 88 Regal coupe that was in the yard today.  I don't know if the Regal's and GP coupes share the same trim piece but they will NOT directly fit on the Cutlass coupes.  The Regal ones are narrower and shorter in critical areas compared to the ones used on the Cutlass coupes.  

Thanks so much for showing us this.  If the Regal one was bigger, I could fix that lol, but unfortunately it's the other way around.  I know you're a stock guy, and I am too in a lot of ways.  But I'd rather have a smooth piece than the louvered one that came on the Cutlass.  I wonder if one off of the Grand Prix would be any closer to the Cutlass one?  What about the Lumina?  Hmmmm.

Thanks, Jiggity. Seeing that now, the Cutlass is definitely stuck with the Cutlass applique. It is the only one that is fat like that. It could still be possible for GP's, Luminas, or Regals to interchange.

That's interesting the Regal one has the rubber bumper. Perhaps it makes the doors close with a slightly more appealing thud? A "luxurious" touch to the more expensive Regal? I've noticed Regals are the only W-bodies (that I've seen) to get a vibration damper on the steering column. Perhaps that piece of rubber on the applique is the same kind thing.

Edited by jman093

Sign in to follow this