2007 Grand Prix GXP

W30olds

Found one for a good price. Don't know that much about them really. It's a fast car and looks really nice. Interior is in great shape and the body is nice and straight. Are these decent and reliable cars? I've considered picking one up if the price is good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They’re pretty decent, but the transmissions are just not built to handle that power. I personally am not a fan of the front end vs the non gxps, but that’s just me

I love those things! I wish I could've found one myself. They do have some issues from what I've read like high oil consumption due to the DoD system, but its easily solved by deactivating the DoD. Trans is definitely a weak point so an aux cooler would be my first order of business had I bought one. Last I would ditch the different width wheels and go with a set I could rotate.

Ultimate bonus...nothing sounds as good as a V8!!!!

I love those things! I wish I could've found one myself. They do have some issues from what I've read like high oil consumption due to the DoD system, but its easily solved by deactivating the DoD. Trans is definitely a weak point so an aux cooler would be my first order of business had I bought one. Last I would ditch the different width wheels and go with a set I could rotate.

Yes I've read up on the tranny issues. Seems to be a well known flaw with the GXP. Like you I read about the oil consumption too and having the DOD disabled. Also not a fan of the different sized tires/rims. I understand why they did it, but come on. Really GM couldn't have done something better than that so at least you could rotate the tires! Still if the price is right I'd entertain picking up one. They're pretty awesome cars. Too bad GM dropped the ball on them. Pontiac was the best cars made by GM IMHO.

I've found 3 for sale somewhat near me. Ones got 115k on it. It's black. The other ones white and had 130K I believe. The last ones the gray color and it's in nice shape. They seem to be around the $5000 price range. Maybe if I get serious about one I can work a better price on one.

About to hit 160k in mine, had it since 93k. Put a shift kit and cooler on it around 140k. Still holds pretty good. Started to intermitent slip from a stop so i just drive around tapshift with no problems. Just got another set of alcoas so i have 18x8 all around as well

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

About to hit 160k in mine, had it since 93k. Put a shift kit and cooler on it around 140k. Still holds pretty good. Started to intermitent slip from a stop so i just drive around tapshift with no problems. Just got another set of alcoas so i have 18x8 all around as well

Post some pics of your GXP if you get a chance! I really those in the black metallic color. Those look awesome with the chrome 18" rims

Post some pics of your GXP if you get a chance! I really those in the black metallic color. Those look awesome with the chrome 18" rims

I hate black, gave up on the paint awhile ago. Want to have it painted a different color but since its a daily its not a priority.167cc9c16855c91bf71aa7b6627b2300.jpg0486bcd2be16c222550a0ab11f05be31.jpg1a24a58ed0768411762ceb27f5c4d27e.jpg

I hate black, gave up on the paint awhile ago. Want to have it painted a different color but since its a daily its not a priority.167cc9c16855c91bf71aa7b6627b2300.jpg0486bcd2be16c222550a0ab11f05be31.jpg1a24a58ed0768411762ceb27f5c4d27e.jpg

Sweeet!!! Looks great man. I had a 96 GTP that was black on black. Loved that car. Sadly I had it for maybe 6 weeks. I was going to lunch one day at work and some douche ran the red light and I hit him in the passenger side door and totaled it out. Had 64K miles on it.

Looks good in pictures haha, thats 1 thing i do like about this car is that its a tan interior so it stands out a bit. Gosh dang people have to not pay attention and ruin things for other people

Looks good in pictures haha, thats 1 thing i do like about this car is that its a tan interior so it stands out a bit. Gosh dang people have to not pay attention and ruin things for other people

For real! Made me sick to destroy that car. It was a super nice ride. I worked for Nissan for many years and somebody traded it in on a new car. When I came to work and saw it sitting back in the lot I had to buy it. Paid $2200 for it. Just had put a new set of Michelin tires on the car that morning and by lunch it was on a wrecker headed to the scrap yard......

Yes I've read up on the tranny issues. Seems to be a well known flaw with the GXP. Like you I read about the oil consumption too and having the DOD disabled. Also not a fan of the different sized tires/rims. I understand why they did it, but come on. Really GM couldn't have done something better than that so at least you could rotate the tires! Still if the price is right I'd entertain picking up one. They're pretty awesome cars. Too bad GM dropped the ball on them. Pontiac was the best cars made by GM IMHO.

Yes, for sure get that DOD turned off. I don't care what anyone says, the only way to eliminate the oil consumption is to do away with the DOD function. The oil pan gasket doesn't fix it. 

The different size wheels thing is kind of odd to me, in that the GP was the only LS4 car to do it like that. Why? The Chevy twins and the Buick ran a symmetrical setup. Also, not sure if it's still a thing, but supposedly there is/ was a special procedure or tool for changing serpentine belts, when in reality all you need to do is tighten an appropriately size hose clamp around the tensioner assembly to R&R the belt.

Bob Lutz was still at GM when the GXP was being designed. He gave the guys at Pontiac a lot of free rope to do what they could tot he car since they knew the G8 was replacing the GP. The engineers decided that for a FWD platform the car would handle and corner better with wider tires on the front. The smaller rears were intended to slip a little and prevent the car from having excessive understeer.

Personally I thought it was a silly concept since the car wasnt a sports car anyway and ultimate limit handling was less important that having a full set of tires you could rotate. I love the cars but they arent Corvettes...lets be a little real, Bob  :lol:

I bought a brand new one in the fall of 05.  It was an 06, maroon one with all options except NAV.  Really loved it but one time when I was going to WI for a wedding, the low oil warning came on and I stopped at a local GM dealer to add oil to it.  I think it was under 5,000 miles when it did that, can't remember exactly.  I sold it when it had about 16,000 on it I think.  Now I wished I would have kept it.  Didn't know it at the time but that car was my very first W-Body.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a black '06, just like the one pictured above. Was a one-owner garage-kept car. It's about a 9.5/10. Very, very nice car. Has 158k on it. I gave $4900 for it. It also came with 4 brand new, never mounted tires, lol. The trans was overhauled at 120k and it never had an oil consumption problem. The only mod it had on it was a K&N CAI which I have already removed. I put the stock air box back on it. The CAI is available if anyone wants it. Cheap. I'm in South Carolina. 

• Like 2

Found one for a good price. Don't know that much about them really. It's a fast car and looks really nice. Interior is in great shape and the body is nice and straight. Are these decent and reliable cars? I've considered picking one up if the price is good.

There's a black '05 for sale in Greenville, SC - not too far from you. It's on craigslist. Northstar car though. I haven't looked at it in person but the guy says its very nice. Only asking 3,800 for it. Prolly get it for quite a bit less. 

There's a black '05 for sale in Greenville, SC - not too far from you. It's on craigslist. Northstar car though. I haven't looked at it in person but the guy says its very nice. Only asking 3,800 for it. Prolly get it for quite a bit less.

I'll chrck it out. Thanks!

Ha, you're right. I guess I missed that little tidbit.

Still would be a cool ride to grab up. Northstar V8 sleeper