Stock radio swap

Crimson Fury Z

This doesn't pertain to a W, but I'm not getting any bites on the Buick forum. My brother has a 97 LeSabre with a non theftlock tape/radio. The deck no longer works and wants to find a stock CD radio. Aside from dealing with unlocking a theftlock unit, should it be drop in replacement? Thanks in advance.

Double check the wiring if it has the same plugs so you don't end up sending power or ground somewhere naughty.

It will be from a same gen LeSabre, but I'll make sure before he would pop it in.

I do believe the 97 LeSabre radio will be double DIN and have a 32-pin connector in the back, but any similar head unit should work just fine. Buick had some nice cassette/CD combo units then.

• 4 months later...

Double-din Oldsmobile head units (1994-2000) should fit in a Buick although the steering wheel controls might function a little differently. I had a Buick AM/FM/CD/cassette unit in my '95 Olds Aurora that was a plug-and-play installation except the steering wheel controls took on the functions they would have had in a Buick. The volume control was in the same place (upper right) but the temperature and tuning controls were reversed so that the tuning controls were on the lower left and the temperature was on the lower right. Instead of controlling the fan, the switch on the upper left was source and mute. It was confusing at first, but then wasn't so bad once I got used to it. Although I missed having the fan control on the steering wheel, I found I generally preferred the Buick unit over the Olds unit it replaced. I still have that Buick radio and it may well find its way into my '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 9:08 AM, 57lxi said:

Check out Crutchfield. I got a single din radio/CD from them for my 95, Olds 88. With there free install kit, it was virtually plug and play.

Yeah, Crutchfield is good for including everything you need and not charging an arm and a leg. Their telephone support is also first rate if you run into trouble. I got a Sony head unit for my (now ex-) wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee from them. It came with a face plate and wiring harness adapters at no extra charge. I taught her daughter how to solder wires when we installed it.