FE3 Badge - to put it on or not?

sean1991olds

I snagged an FE-3 badge from ebay, and I'm debating - on my all stock car, (which does have the FE-3 suspension) do I put on the badge on the trunk lid? This was not something they did stock in 1991, at least not on the convertible.

2nd option, do I put it maybe on the ash tray door inside the car? 

3rd option, just keep it for collectors sakes?

4th option, scan the badge and modify it in photoshop and make it into a decal for the car (maybe it'll come off easier / looks sleeker?)

Decal! I wanted to get a GTP one for my rear window since I remove the badger, but never got around to it. I bought a Grand Prix one but ruined it on accident

Do whatever you want, the car has FE3 so it's not inappropriate.

Weighing the options were the car to be judged it's not like any judge at a run of the mill car show would know if it's supposed to be there or not. For that matter less than half of this forum could tell you it's not supposed to be there  - (I wouldn't know.)

I put a Regal script on both sides of my Regal and on the trunk where it didn't belong and then put Riviera Supercharged badges below all three. I ran an older year grille and removed the badge entirely from it and for 3 years nobody ever pointed out that any of it wasn't factory.

I considered that for the Cutlass, but ultimately changed my mind...but like Imp said, you’re not trying to make it something it’s not.

4th option, scan the badge and modify it in photoshop and make it into a decal for the car (maybe it'll come off easier / looks sleeker?)

I would go that route since a vinyl decal would look a lot cleaner than a badge.

I say put it on the trunk where other cars had it.  It's reversable, so no worries.  Just use 3M double sided tape and enjoy!  

Definitely get it scanned to make copies just to preserve the option for future projects. I`m personally opposed to the clean look of going badge-less, be proud of what you got. I say add poly-bushings where needed and stick it on in the factory location. Ive got one I`m going to use on my 1994 CS once I get the front springs swapped out. 

Question for any though, did all the LQ1 CS Verts have FE3 front springs? Is there a way to tell without the option code trunk label or removing the spring to test?

Definitely get it scanned to make copies just to preserve the option for future projects. I`m personally opposed to the clean look of going badge-less, be proud of what you got. I say add poly-bushings where needed and stick it on in the factory location. Ive got one I`m going to use on my 1994 CS once I get the front springs swapped out. 

Question for any though, did all the LQ1 CS Verts have FE3 front springs? Is there a way to tell without the option code trunk label or removing the spring to test?

I thought all LQ1 verts had FE3 springs.  I removed my stock FE3 front springs and used cut donor (non FE3) springs to lower the front of my car.  The diameter of my stock FE3 springs were .610" vs .588" for the donor springs.  You can measure the diameter without taking the spring off.  Also, the FE3 springs are about a 1/4 coil shorter than the non-FE3 spring.  I have pics of them side by side so you can see the difference, then maybe look at yours to see. I'll dig them up tonight. 

Here's a description of all of the RPO codes for the front & rear FE3 springs that went under the 1st gen cars.......

MNmIw5q.jpg

Out of curiosity what does this badge look like?  If you taped it on with masking tape in the factory spot and posted a photo we could vote.  Like Matt I do not have any badges on my GTP but do want to put them back on at some point.

As far as i can tell it was an exclusive Olds badge found on a few late 80`s early 90`s cars. If I got a 2nd one I could put it in the factory place on the vert, its got FE3 front springs, found the rpo code still on the spring tape.

My 91 Calais had that badge upper left on the trunk. A nice touch, would look great on your car. I'm a 14mm rear sway bar away from having a de defacto FE-3 set up on my 96 Cutlass, the search continues. Thanks to your brackets I can keep looking.

Take a good quality jpeg image of the badge and hook up with this guy....

3D Decals

He can turn any good quality jpeg into acrylic domed decals. They stick nicely on bodywork and come off cleaner than 3M tape. He is located in Athens, Greece so the mail takes a little time but he delivers high quality decals.

You can also email him at  staff@lefterisdesign.com

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: I found a nice enough (NOS) FE-3 badge (better than the one I originally bought) and put it on! I really like the look and am happy with it! I gave it the same positioning as the Oldsmobile logo on the other side. At first I thought it was "in" a bit too much but I like how that makes it stand out, and it is the same distance as the Olds text... fe3-1.jpg

fe3-2.jpg

fe3-3.jpg

• Like 4

I saw that too, and was thinking about getting it for the right side of my trunk lid. I have enough other things to buy for this car so I passed on it. I thought it might balance out the look of the rear, since it already has a badge on the left side.