Issues I am now dealing with... any help would be appreciated it.

89-W-Body-Regal

My 89 regal 2.8 V-6 is finally running great again. Coils packs have been changed. But now I am dealing with this issue with my A/C Heater and defrosters. None of the air will come out of the vents. Not even defrosters will work and defog windshields. Floor isn’t wet and blower motor is working. Air is coming out from the bottom of the glovebox where blower is located. But not any air is coming out of the vents on any cycle. Can’t feel any cool or hot air coming out of vents. A/C compressor is working fine and heater core is leak free. What can the issue be?

I don’t know if this helps.. but the hood was open all day when I was working on it at my friends shop and rain water was getting in the engine bay. Don’t think that would hurt anything tho.

So its blowing cold air but only out of the bottom regardless of which position the AC level is? Sounds like the vent door isnt moving = faulty vent door actuator or blocked vent door. Ive got the same issue with my 94 CS but I havent taken the dash out to get to it yet.

Id start by Checking for broken or cracked vacuum lines in your engine bay.I had to replace a few sections near the vacuum ball on the drivers side of my cutlass to get my actuator to function properly.

Edited by Drummer
  • Like 2

Same problem with somebody else a few months ago, I remember the same stuff about vacuum lines. I don't remember if they ever checked back with a diagnosis.

• Like 1

Id start by Checking for broken or cracked vacuum lines in your engine bay.I had to replace a few sections near the vacuum ball on the drivers side of my cutlass to get my actuator to function properly.

Do you have any idea where the vacuum ball is on my regal?

It should be in the hollow behind the bumper on the driver's side. Right in front of the wheel. My knowledge is of a somewhat newer first gen.

Front bumper, you can see from under the car. One vacuum line. It's a black ball 5" - 6" diameter. Most accurately it's a vacuum reservoir tank.

• Like 1

Vacuum failure should put the system into "defrost", with most of the air going to the windshield.

I'd be looking for a failed actuator, or a missing/disconnected duct.

Ok but nothing is functioning but the blower motor. I hear the air come on but nothing comes out of the vents. Also when you use defroster the air gets louder. Should I check vacuum ball and actuator both?

Ok but nothing is functioning but the blower motor. I hear the air come on but nothing comes out of the vents. Also when you use defroster the air gets louder. Should I check vacuum ball and actuator both?

Id just pull the hose and you should hear rushing air. Do this when you turn the car off because there should be enough vacuum in the ball to hear it. If you do then its prob. An actuator/control problem Edited by Drummer

Id just pull the hose and you should hear rushing air. Do this when you turn the car off because there should be enough vacuum in the ball to hear it. If you do then its prob. An actuator/control problem

And if air doesn’t rush out the ball is the issue right?

Id say more vacuum leak than the ball.

Doesn’t the ball ever go bad when it don’t hold vacuum anymore? Or just replace the lines and it’s fixed?

Well I checked.. no vacuum lines are broken. Only ones are broken are from the egr harness which I fixed with new tubing. The vacuum ball tubbing wasn’t cracked. But when I pulled out the line of the vacuum ball no air came rushing out. Than when I put the vacuum line back in the ball the inlet port broke on the vacuum ball. I guess the vacuum ball was bad to begin with. Do you think if I replace it I will get full air out of the vents again? I also checked defrosters and only some air was coming out of the dash vents but barely because I guess there is no vacumm from the ball

As previously stated,

when the system fails the default position for air flow is the defroster, this is done deliberately for safety purposes to allow clearing of the windshield.

Are you saying that when at max blower speed you have little airflow to the windshield? 

As previously stated,

when the system fails the default position for air flow is the defroster, this is done deliberately for safety purposes to allow clearing of the windshield.

Are you saying that when at max blower speed you have little airflow to the windshield?

Yes that is correct

I see,

if *defroster* is selected under the present circumstances where is the air being blown to?

There is some air coming from the dash vents when on defrost. But you can barely feel it. As for the vents on the instrument panel, nothing is coming out. I think it’s because the vacuum ball is getting no vacuum. The blower motor works and spins, all relays and fuses are good too. I am thinking it’s just the vacuum ball that’s giving it the problem. If it were the defroster one of the actuators would be the issue. I also checked them and the vacuum lines on the panel mode is good. But at this moment you can only feel the blast of air when you put your hand on the panel beneath the glovebox that covers the evap and that’s when the blower motor is working and turned on.

I ended up just bypassing that Ball... Was REAL cold and I didn't have a whole lot of patience.. Unplugged the Line to the ball and plugged the end with a bolt/screw... The down side of that is Cruise Control is a little messed up.... For me that is fine,,,, I NEVER use CC!!! HATE IT!!!

Good Luck,,,,

Tom B...

A 4T60 will shift somewhat harshly without it. My Regal had a bad vacuum line when it found me and an old thread I found lurking this forum in 2009 helped me diagnose it.