Hard to start when car is warm

W30olds

• 4 weeks later...

So I've cleaned all the terminals to block, battery and starter. Made sure they're all tight and free from problems. Had the alternator and battery checked. All look good. Checked the battery cables for breaks, corrosion, rust. None. Followed all the instructions in the checklist on the new starter pre installation. Still having the problem. So the starters under warranty so I'm going to replace it with another starter. That's the only thing left I can see could be the issue. Apparently AC Delco reman starters have a bad rap from what I've read. Man how aggrivating this is. Starts like a champ in the mornings when the cars cold. However when it's hot and you try to start the car it acts up more now than before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'll stop for a coffee sometimes and I'm in there maybe 5 minutes it will act up. Sometimes it will crank up pretty easily, but sometimes it has to sit for a few minutes before it will spin over. Sometimes it slowly will spin over like the battery is not charged. I dunno. Read on several other car forum websites it's fairly common on GM and Ford vehicles. Some throw the term heat soak is what's causing the problem. Starter heats up making the resistance in the solenoid harder to crank. Makes since, but why doesn't it happen to all cars? Never really see many issues on new cars about the starters giving them problems. Maybe it's because the starter from AC Delco is a reman and not new?

What I'm getting at is....

you've stated that you've gone thru all of the electrical possibilities, (good battery, fresh starter, ruled out wiring connections)

is it the engine?, it's a rebuild?

when this situation happens (and you've arrived at home), what would be the result if you pulled all the spark plugs immediately(and quickly) to remove all compression and then spin the engine? will the starter display up any problems?

The engine was replaced a few years ago. It was a new GM crate motor. When the car starts and runs I have zero issues and it runs fine. So pretty sure there's nothing wrong there. Recently tuned up the car with plugs and wires. Either there's something wrong electrical, or the starter I replaced is a lemon. Going to replace it today and see if that solves the problem. If not I'll have the shop take a look at the car next. Thanks for your help!

Would it be hard to carry a breaker bar with the right size crank socket and just make sure it's free?

I'm not sure how hard it is to reachon a 60*

New starters on. Fires right up and no lag. Gonna go for a drive and take the old back to Autozone. That will give it a chance to get good and hot. Then will see what happens. Fingers crossed it was just a crappy reman starter. This starter even sounds more powerful when starting if that makes any since. More responsive basically. Spins over really well so far.

Drove the car for awhile. Got it up to temp. Went to Autozone to return the old starter. Car sat for about 15 minutes and fired right up without any problems. Then went to the grocery store. Car sat awhile and started right up. So far no issues at all. This starter seems to be a much better unit. Spins over super strong and no lag. Maybe that was the problem all along. I dunno but as of right now it's working like a new car. Bump the key and fires right up.

It wasn't that bad really. The back bolt kinda sucks to get in and out, but overall about an hour to swap. I did it in the garage floor. Had I had a lift it would have been much easier

Day 3 and not a moments trouble with the new starter. Still going well. Believe it's fixed up and hopefully will not have anymore problems with that issue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Close to a month now and haven't had a single issue with the starter. Still fires right up and zero problems. Thanks guys for all your input.