245/50r16 vs. 225/60r16 on x-lace wheels?

Brodizzle83

There seems to be 2 different tire sizes that came on B4U packaged Grand Prix's and Im not sure I understand why. Some came with 225/60r16 (most common) and 245/50r16. The 245/50 series are lower profile and wider. Is there a reason for the 2 different sizes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I believe the GTP had the 16x8 rims and the SE had 16x7 wheels? Coukd be wrong. My 95 SE has xlaces and I've got 225/60/16 tires. Would be nice to get some 245/55/16 on there though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The 16x8's were available as an option on the SE's coupes as well, one had to order the B4U package to get them.

If the car was fitted with the 16x8's the tires were 245 Eagle ZR's.

the photo is somewhat clear, see the print to the right of the wheels at the bottom,

this is my '92 model year advertising brochure

A8phtzO.jpg

All B4U cars came with 16x8" crosslace wheels.  That said, cars with the GTP package got 245/50/16s, SE cars got 225/60/16s.  The tire placard in the drivers side door jamb will reflect this.

To answer your question, the 245s offer a bit more traction and the shorter sidewall helps with handling for the more sporty GTP package cars.

• Like 2