2004 GTP Comp G

W30olds

I found one of these in the local used cars. It's white and has 94K on it according to the owner. So I've thought about going to check it out. I've been wanting to pick up a newer GP with lower mileage than mine. This has the supercharged 3.8L and comp G package. The price is $3800 which seems like a good deal. Problem is I'm not to familiar with the supercharged 3.8L. I've owned a 2000 with just the 3.8L. Any problems with the SC engines?? Is there anything.about the 2004 GP to check out before buying it?

Also found a 2000 GTP Daytona 500 model for sale. 145K miles. I did talk to the owner who bought it new in 2000. Drove it awhile and it's been sitting in his garage for sometime. He told me it has a new transmission installed 2000 miles ago. He's removed the nasty colored stickers on the quarter panels which is fine. I do like the hood and spoilers on the Daytona models. Otherwise it's just a GTP right? Only red flag he's told me was the AC compressor won't run. This could be an expensive repair if it's bad. He's asking $3000 for it.

So if anyone can lend me advice on either car I'd appreciate it. I'm going to check out the 04 GTP hopefully this afternoon. The 2000 model I'm sorta leary about. If the AC system just needs a fuse that's one thing, but if the systems leaking then that's an expensive repair which I can fix, but if the guy won't budge on the price then I'm not going to pursue it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The 2000 Daytona for $3000 seems high, especially with the AC not working. If the price is negotiable(around the $2000 mark) then that's a different story. As long as the rockers and rear strut towers are good.

The 2000 Daytona for $3000 seems high, especially with the AC not working. If the price is negotiable(around the $2000 mark) then that's a different story. As long as the rockers and rear strut towers are good.

I was thinking the same. $3K for a car and the AC system having issues. I replace my AC compressor last year in my 95 GP and did the work myself. It was still fairly expensive to do and time consuming. So if I do check it out and like it I'm gonna offer him less due to the hvac problems. Thanks!

He also mentioned the AC/defrost blend door was sticking when he parked it. Is this hard to repair? Is it motor driven? Thanks! It's on the 2000 GTP

He also mentioned the AC/defrost blend door was sticking when he parked it. Is this hard to repair? Is it motor driven? Thanks! It's on the 2000 GTP

I'm not sure how the 2000 GTP blend doors run. I know on the Bonnevilles it was vacuum operated and the hoses would get weak and collapse on themselves and only the defrost would work. Easy enough to replace a couple inches of vacuum lines and you're good to go. But that was on the 96-99 Bonnevilles. Not sure on the 2000 GTP.

I'm not sure how the 2000 GTP blend doors run. I know on the Bonnevilles it was vacuum operated and the hoses would get weak and collapse on themselves and only the defrost would work. Easy enough to replace a couple inches of vacuum lines and you're good to go. But that was on the 96-99 Bonnevilles. Not sure on the 2000 GTP.

I believe it might be a little actuator motor on these cars. One is $40 and the auto one is $150

The Daytona for $3K wouldn't be bad in this region providing it's rust free. If he comes down at all on the price that would be worth it, the A/C wasn't very complicated on them. If it's a compressor that's a lazy day to replace. More than likely it's just in need of a charge. The 04 sounds cool but the aftermarket isn't as strong.

The Daytona for $3K wouldn't be bad in this region providing it's rust free. If he comes down at all on the price that would be worth it, the A/C wasn't very complicated on them. If it's a compressor that's a lazy day to replace. More than likely it's just in need of a charge. The 04 sounds cool but the aftermarket isn't as strong.

It's a Georgia car, so I doubt it's rusted out. I agree if he'd lower the price it might be a good deal. It's been sitting in a garage since 2008 according to him. Kinda wonder if it will have a bunch of oil leaks since it's been sitting so long and not driven. Not to worried about modding it really. Will be my daily as my GTO is my hotrod

Ten years is ample time for a healthy a/c to lose a little pressure.

I agree. If it's a leak that's one thing. If it's something like a seized compressor that's another. Not that I couldn't fix it myself, but it would be a good way to lower the price!

Went and checked out the 2000 GTP. It's in near mint condition. Body's straight. Paints awesome and no rust. There's a few minor issues that need fixing, but nothing I can't do myself. We put a can of 134a in the AC system and the compressor came on and ran, so it has a leaky AC somewhere. Not a deal breaker really. Runs and drives fine. So I told him I'm really interested in buying it, but with the AC system needing repairs I offered him $2400. Waiting to see if he will take my offer.

• Like 2

My daughter has a 2005 with almost 170k and its been a great car. I also like the body style of the 04-up so that would've been a strong choice for me, but if the Daytona is as nice as you described cant see that going wrong...especially if you get your price.

So guess the 2000 owner didn't want to budge on the price, so that deals been put on the back burner. Still waiting for the place with the 04 to even return my calls

So guess the 2000 owner didn't want to budge on the price, so that deals been put on the back burner. Still waiting for the place with the 04 to even return my calls

You shouldn't have charged the A/C, lost your bargaining power and took away his negative selling point.

I didn't!! The owner did to show me the compressor wasnt seized. Did prove though it leaks. However he's not willing to budge at the moment on the price.

I didn't!! The owner did to show me the compressor wasnt seized. Did prove though it leaks. However he's not willing to budge at the moment on the price.

He will. Crazy buying season is wrapping up. As long as you leave it open ended and let him know the offer stands going forward, he might come around.

He will. Crazy buying season is wrapping up. As long as you leave it open ended and let him know the offer stands going forward, he might come around.

That's how I left it. Call me if interested in selling it. I'm not in a rush or anything to buy. Just found it listed and if the price is right I'd buy another GP.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2000 Daytona still hasn't sold. Guess he's not willing to lower the price. I sent him another message. The KBB value is only like $2200 for the car and I told him that. Maybe he will lower the price because nobody's bought it up yet. Also he told me that these cars had a handling package installed? I've not heard of this unless he's done it.

The 2000 Daytona still hasn't sold. Guess he's not willing to lower the price. I sent him another message. The KBB value is only like $2200 for the car and I told him that. Maybe he will lower the price because nobody's bought it up yet. Also he told me that these cars had a handling package installed? I've not heard of this unless he's done it.

The “handling package†is something that came on the GT’s called the GT suspension and handling package I believe and also carried over to the GTP. It’s a standard if you bought a GT or GTP.

The “handling package†is something that came on the GT’s called the GT suspension and handling package I believe and also carried over to the GTP. It’s a standard if you bought a GT or GTP.

Thanks. I thought the GT and GTP had better suspensions than the base models. So the "daytona" package is nothing more than the GT package. Not sure if he's saying it's special because it's the Daytona car, or just the standard upgrade from the base model.