The Holy Grail - Rebuilding the Getrag 284 5TM60

crazyd

Wow, this is awesome.

I have one I will be attempting to take apart soon. It sounds like aside of taking apart the detent assembly, that there isn't a ton of magic is splitting the case.

My end goal is to get into the blocker rings and attempt to get new manufactured. However being able to disassemble and reassemble it is solidly the first step.

Do you have any pointers for someone splitting the case for the first time?

Wow, this is awesome.

I have one I will be attempting to take apart soon. It sounds like aside of taking apart the detent assembly, that there isn't a ton of magic is splitting the case.

My end goal is to get into the blocker rings and attempt to get new manufactured. However being able to disassemble and reassemble it is solidly the first step.

Do you have any pointers for someone splitting the case for the first time?

Getting it apart is not so bad, getting it back together without the assembly fixture will not be easy. (holding shit rails in place along with reverse - Ive done it, but tricky.

Need to good pullers for removing the gears from the shaft, if I remember you need a very thin plate puller for 5th speed gear.

Detent assembly is simple with 2 small flat screwdrivers. Grease the balls into the detent block, place the springs in it, and set in place. The other ball guide into place with screwdriver while holding spring back with other screwdriver, once balls are in place use screwdriver to push block into place and bolt it up. Do not lose the pin in the detent end of the shift rail.

Another tip for the shift linkage assembly (internal) is to make a bar (or dowel) the same diameter as the shift linkage and preassemble the linkage onto that and put it in place, then push the dowel through with the shift rail.

• Like 1

Perhaps I'll be able to build a fixture. I saw a picture of it in the 1992 service manual. At least gives me an idea of what I may need.

I need to find some time to start breaking into this pandoras box. I'll absolutely take lots of pictures along the way.

Worst case I end up with a box of broken parts, which is what I have currently so nothing to really loose here. 

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I pull it apart.

So I converted my 95 olds to a getrag 284 and lost my 2nd gear.  

Have a place in california willing to fix it but they need a donor 2nd gear.

Anybody got one.  Don't want to miss the summer throwing the shifter

Where are you located? I'd happily travel to learn.

Michigan, but I have no tools or access to a garage anymore.

But when you start breaking into it take a lot of pics and go slow, I'll give any advice I can as you move along!!

I'll set up notifications to this thread

will do, greatly appreciate it! 

You are literally the last person I expected to find this.

I was talking to some friends about old stuff we used to work on and I brought up manual trans, specifically the 284.

I was shocked to find this because it was such a long time ago and not many were made.

It sure does bring back some memories!!! Reading through these threads I sure wish I had all the brand new parts I had 25 years ago!!!! Back then I could assemble one blindfolded (not kidding!)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I did just find a guy who worked for GM and took a bunch of parts with him and supposedly has a bunch of getrag 284's and maybe some complete ones.  I lost my 2nd gear on my 284 that I put in my 95 Olds convertible and have been looking for a 2nd gear or whole unit for 6 months.

I reply when I know more 

I did just find a guy who worked for GM and took a bunch of parts with him and supposedly has a bunch of getrag 284's and maybe some complete ones.  I lost my 2nd gear on my 284 that I put in my 95 Olds convertible and have been looking for a 2nd gear or whole unit for 6 months.

I reply when I know more 

Message me their name, wonder if I know them!!!! :)

• 1 month later...

Has anybody with a 284 ever gotten the acceleration shimmy?  Like when you accelerate in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear you get a shimmy from the drivetrain.  It is either a side-to-side shimmy, or a wobble from either or both sides.  Sometimes it's the axles, but other times...

Honestly till you mentioned those issues i've never been aware of them

the 284 in my car is probably fairly worn. I have absolutely no idea how many miles are on this unit, it leaks oil from places unknown, it sounds like a rock tumbler.

But I can't say I'm aware of any shimmy issues. I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm out in it.

• 1 month later...

The 92 parts car I bought has a busted 284 in it. It seems to be stuck in 3rd gear. Not sure if that’s the end of the line for this unit or not. The selector is either very stiff or extremely sloppy. Once I get it on the bench i can give it a to open the case. Certainly do not have the specialized tools for that though.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Has any progress been made in the last 4 years? I have a 92 Lumina that when I put it into 4th gear it grinds a little. Goes into gear and drives fine, but always grinds a little. Is there anything that can be done? Car has 94k on it and in great shape. I just typically skip 4th to maybe keep it from getting worse, which it has not in 3 yrs.