The Holy Grail - Rebuilding the Getrag 284 5TM60

crazyd

If I were planning on taking apart a 284, I would be tracking down the Kent Moore tool part numbers and trying to figure out how those look so I could fabricate my own if I couldn't track them down.

• Like 2

Here are some pictures out of the 92 Olds manual. Sorry about them being sideways. The manual has complete disassembly and reassembly instructions. All the J tools should be obtainable, with the exception of that assembly pallet, which I’ve never found or even seen in 10 years of looking. Not sure how crucial that is to doing the actual assembly. It looks like it holds all the gear clusters in position for installation into the case half.

post-2948-0-16060700-1523832248_thumb.jpeg

post-2948-0-65111300-1523832260_thumb.jpeg

post-2948-0-55487100-1523832282_thumb.jpeg

post-2948-0-31045800-1523832298_thumb.jpeg

Does anybody know who ended up with the new 284 rebuild kit that was for sale years ago on 60degreev6?

http://www.60degreev6.com/vb5/forum/non-engine-specific/buy-sell-trade/20349-brand-new-getrag-5spd-284-m27-remanufacture-kit

I seem to recall it on eBay at one time many years ago, but at the time it was out of my price range.

post-2948-0-71515500-1523833339_thumb.jpeg

the major issues with these are the input shaft seal sleeves, and the detent plate gets burrs and sticks locking you out of gears

the diff bearings you can get from Timken. I have mixed and matched parts on mine to get them to work. its too bad no hard parts are available. as for the clutch the pull type setup sex. you can make a 282 push type to handle more load with less effort. I had to run a double diaphragm clutch in mine to get it to hold. pedal effort was just retarded.. this is why switching to tilton twin disc.. hopefully will cut down on that. but its tight fit.. we really need parts for these made. Im willing to invest. I don't want an f40 box in mine car. I know the 284 will hold what I give it.

-Jarek

Can you explain how the conversion is done to convert from a pull type to push type? I tried asking Kuntzie/ Turbojeff years ago, but he kinda ducked the question and said that it's expensive and difficult. I just don't want to have to rely on obscenely expensive and potentially obsolete clutches and bearings from Spec, whereas the push type clutches appear to be much cheaper and easier to come by. I am concerned because if I ever get around to doing my LS4 swap, my Spec stage 2 isn't going to cut it. I know they make through stage 5, but $$$$$$ and not street friendly.

my night job I work for a clutch rebuilder... Falcon Clutches. if you need a clutch Marc can build you one. 631 6677788. let him know Jarek told you to go to him.. Spec clutches they advertise upgraded pressure plates but they are on the stage 3 and under just stock pressure plates with upgraded material. he can resurface and rebuild anything from leather cone style antique clutches to 1000+ hp supras.. anything.

I have never seen a break down from a gm manual with the 284 in it! pretty cool! ill have to look and see if the old lumina manuals have that. Main job is for Chevy Buick. lots of those manuals are gone. everything is online now.

Jay you need to extract that info!!!!! and you need to come up here... drag jon out of his cave since hes never home and lets do a city run!! mmm beer

the input shaft seal sleeves are all one piece. I have one somewhere. you pop a clip and press the out from the inside. look at Rodney dickmans fiero website. he sells a conversion kit for the 282. which ive installed a few of for people on here. great kit. we need that for the 284

So it looks like that press fits into the bell housing and contains the input shaft bearing with the seal keeping all the oil inside.

If someone has the time to copy out that information on the tools, I am sure an ebay search can be setup to trigger when any of those tools pop up. If someone had the tools, I am sure they could figure out how to rebuild them. If there is a common part that fails, a replacement could probaby be made with a group buy. I unfortunately, don't have the time, space or resources for that, so I'm just the idea guy.

I did a search for many of the J numbers before, turned up nothing aside of the most common tools that are used for other things.

This thread does make me happy, I've to date not seen such a in depth look at this mystery box. And it will only get better.

If I understand this right

First I pop off the cap covering the detents, disasemble that, then I can split the case?

pop the cap from the edge of the cap... not through it. on the thicj section of the bell.... then remove the detent bolts and springs and balls.... case bolts. be careful with splitting.. there is a detent plate inside that sometimes sticks... I take a 1000 grit sand paper and polish it.. as I had one trans lock me out of every gear minus 5th and that was the cause. little burrs over time.

bae17eb75a0656e54175566a531e8c57.jpg

A thrust bearing and a lip seal? Those aren't available anymore? There has to be something maybe even a double lip. Worst case scenario I can see getting a common seal with that ID and machining a spacer sleeve to press it into.

Are there any numbers on them?

Yeah you basically destroy it to open it up. Like I’ve said guys, the seal inside isn’t the issue. It’s the small o-ring in the outside that gets hard and brittle and starts leaking.

That kit would do it and something I was thinking is the only way to go for seals.  If your bearing is shot as well this would be a double wammy fix.  Somebody that has a busted up 284 should contact and send him their case.  He could probably duplicate this provided he could source the seal and bearing based on the diameter of the shaft.  I bet its different than a 282.  Because it would be too easy for them to be the same.

Hi all - newbie here.

This thread brings back many memories for me.

I worked on the 284 program for years - built probably hundreds of them. I know obtaining parts is an issue, but if I see any assembly or general questions I can help with I will do my best!!

Hi all - newbie here.

This thread brings back many memories for me.

I worked on the 284 program for years - built probably hundreds of them. I know obtaining parts is an issue, but if I see any assembly or general questions I can help with I will do my best!!

You can’t stop there. Please tell us more about your career with the 284. Were you on the factory floor or involved in other ways. What’s your opinion on this trans? Any ideas on why it was such a limited production if it was such a solid unit?

You can’t stop there. Please tell us more about your career with the 284. Were you on the factory floor or involved in other ways. What’s your opinion on this trans? Any ideas on why it was such a limited production if it was such a solid unit?

Involved in other ways. Would rather not say (long story), but was very much involved in the program.

But again, if I see any questions I can help with or help especially with assembly I will do my best!