UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
55trucker

LQ1 Coolant bypass housing

I've come across the source for a mild leak that I've been noticing since last summer,

the coolant bypass housing next to the coolant pump manifold has a hairline crack in it.

I'm asking if anyone scouring a yard comes across an LQ1 still in the car and this part is there would you Pleeeez pull it for me.

We can sort out the shipping up to me later, there's nothing in this area at all for LQ1 parts. 

thx

UixUxXy.jpg

would be appreciated if you could have a look,

something I wasn't expecting is a change in part# from GM for that piece depending on the year of the engine,

91-93 is 10130907 & the 94-96 is 24503051, long discontinued.

I'm not sure what the change in them is, can't get a clear representation from the GM parts drawings.

If I am looking at what I think I am.... The earlier LQ1s (91-93) had a coolant line that ran from that junction to the oil filter as a kind of oil cooler.. I "think" the difference  is the number of lines that go to that junction...

What really sucks is that when I moved I was forced to leave a 93 engine and trans sitting in the driveway,,,, didn't have anywhere to store anything... I was forced to sell my Z34 as well....

Sometimes life SUCKS!!!

Tom B....

I've added this piece to my Part Pull list steve.  If I find one I'll let you know.  Let us know if you get one though.  If you don't hear back from anyone quickly I can put you in touch with the puller that got me the 5 speed swap.  That car is still sitting at the Barlow Calgary yard and he goes there more than once a week. It's a 91 GTP>

I don't expect find one in this *neck-of-the-woods*. The cars just don't exist here anymore, much less an LQ1 engine. I have spoken with the parts person where I purchased to car to do a sweep in Ontario for one, no such luck. So much for Oshawa being *GM town*.

Any & all help is appreciated, for now the car is parked until that part is replaced.

I don't expect find one in this *neck-of-the-woods*. The cars just don't exist here anymore, much less an LQ1 engine. I have spoken with the parts person where I purchased to car to do a sweep in Ontario for one, no such luck. So much for Oshawa being *GM town*.

Any & all help is appreciated, for now the car is parked until that part is replaced.

I know last summer I was at a yard in London, Ont that had a Red Z34. Might still be there. Baker Auto Wreckers.

I sent you a PM to get a hold of the puller I used.  He will be able to get it and send to you.  Failing that maybe grinding the crack with a dremel and using some J /B weld might get you back on the road if the crack is not very big? 

The crack runs horizontal just below the upper bolt boss, where the housing enlarges out to a round bowl, I was considering getting it tigged, but I'd rather find an undamaged piece if possible.

JB weld was thought of by someone else but won't reinforce the housing, the stress needs to be eliminated.  

Taking it to a welder might be quicker and cheaper. Do you think it took a hit or is it more a design flaw? Keep in mind that once you fix a coolant leak, often others pop up. The system being able to pressurize for the first time will give you the next weakest point quickly.

Edited by vipmiller803

Keep in mind that once you fix a coolant leak, often others pop up. The system being able to pressurize for the first time will give you the next weakest point quickly.

Many moons ago I went through a bunch of used radiators in Regal rev1, the l36 days. One had a small leak and the l67 was on the horizon so I put some of that copper sludge in. I was leaning over the running car with a flashlight looking through the fans watching the little leak slow and then stop. As soon as it stopped that whole area just burst sending coolant into the fans. It was in my mouth, all over my shirt and hair. Thank God I wear glasses or boiling coolant would have been in my eyes too. Those were the days.

Yikes. Really speaks volumes to why safety glasses are so important when wrenching. I am as guilty as any, constantly skipping them, but really what would you do without your eyes.

Many moons ago I went through a bunch of used radiators in Regal rev1, the l36 days. One had a small leak and the l67 was on the horizon so I put some of that copper sludge in. I was leaning over the running car with a flashlight looking through the fans watching the little leak slow and then stop. As soon as it stopped that whole area just burst sending coolant into the fans. It was in my mouth, all over my shirt and hair. Thank God I wear glasses or boiling coolant would have been in my eyes too. Those were the days.