LED Fog Lights

KnightOwl

Instead of looking high and low for LED bulbs for the fog lights (and all the mixed reviews on how well they work) I decided to just go with whole new LED fog lights.

I bought these from eBay and they are Cree Fog Beams made for late model Jeeps. I noticed the mount configuration was very similar to the GP so I gave them a whirl. Here is a link to the lights I bought.

Cree LED Lights

First I removed the factory light assembly

IMG_6015-M.jpg

The factory brackets had to be modified for the larger mounting bolts and clearance for the housing finned back.

IMG_6016-M.jpg

I drilled out the bracket holes and used the bench grinder to widen the clearance for the housing

IMG_6018-M.jpg

The lights mounted nicely with the provided bolts but I had to leave off the spring adjuster screw

IMG_6020-M.jpg

IMG_6021-M.jpg

The housing is almost the exact size of the factory unit

IMG_6022-M.jpg

The new light bolt right in just like factory except for the adjuster screw

IMG_6023-S.jpg

I didnt wire them up yet because I didnt want to cut the factory harness to splice the new wires in. I'd like to get a set of extension pig tails so they will still plug into the factory sockets. I havent had any luck finding 880 pigtails, or am I looking for the wrong thing? I've seen plenty of H1 and H2 extenders....anyone got a link to the proper pigtail?

I'm interested to see if these are brighter than the stock lights.

Thanks for the link. I got them on the way! (and BTW, I will be shipping your package in the morning...I'll post your tracking # in PM)

lol I'm not worried! Got my hands full picking up my next project car tomorrow!!!  :dance: (1984 Pontiac Fiero SE). Can't wait to see how the lights turn out!

lol I'm not worried! Got my hands full picking up my next project car tomorrow!!!  :dance: (1984 Pontiac Fiero SE). Can't wait to see how the lights turn out!

Building a kit car out of it or building a Fiero out of it?

Building a kit car out of it or building a Fiero out of it?

Idk. I need to asses the damage first. It definitely needs paint, and it's missing a few small things like vents, insignias, etc. Car hasn't run in somewhere like 3 or 4 years and it's got almost 200,000 miles on it, so I'm assuming either the engine or transmission is toast. 

For kicks and giggles I think I'll try to get the ol' "iron duke" fired up again, but I'm leaning towards a 3800sc w/4T65E-HD. Parts are cheap here. I'll probably spend more on the custom engine mounts than I will for the engine, transmission, accessories, wiring harness, and everything else!

Anyways, Sorry KnightOwl for polluting the thread! I promise I'll shut up and create a build thread tomorrow! good luck on the leds!  :thumbsup:

Not to threadjack........

before you actually pay for that Fiero make sure you take a Goooood look at the rear upper framerails under the rear quarter skins, this is a weak spot in those cars, the rails rot out, you can't see them because they are hidden behind the splash shields. Take a flashlight with you & be prepared to pull out the shields on both sides and inspect them right up to the rear glass. If they are gone consider staying away from the car, unless you have the skills (or know someone who does) to rebuld them. It's a big job, I've done 4 Fiero's that needed this work.

Interesting fog lights,

I take it that the housings are molded with heat sinks to cool the pc board.

If the stated 1800 lumens is for a single lamp that should be approx the equivalent of a halogen high beam bulb.

The finished product definitely has some light output

IMG_6033-M.jpg

On the garage door at home...just the headlights

IMG_6034-L.jpg

And with the fogs added

IMG_6035-L.jpg

The headlights are seriously weak by comparison. With all the aftermarket headlights out there for the GP, I'm amazed there isnt a pure LED headlight set-up

Nice! And one of the reasons is that unlike projector headlights, the leds (without a projector housing) don't have a cutoff and will blind other drivers. Unfortunately the lens of regular projectors isn't designed for leds so it makes them super dim. There are correct led projectors, but they're expensive and still dimmer than good projectors. I'm sure in the future they'll get better and cheaper though.

There are a lot of new cars with pretty bright DRL that stay on at night that have no pattern line at all. At least the fogs are low to start with. I've seen so many lifted truck with HIDs that are crazy bright, so I dont think I'm doing anywhere near the blinding annoyance they provide.

There are a lot of new cars with pretty bright DRL that stay on at night that have no pattern line at all. At least the fogs are low to start with. I've seen so many lifted truck with HIDs that are crazy bright, so I dont think I'm doing anywhere near the blinding annoyance they provide.

I agree, you're fine with fog lights. My beef is with those who run leds and hids in their main housings without the correct retrofits. Btw those leds look awesome!

Lol anyone get pulled ever for them not?

Around here, yes. We have a problem with jacked up trucks running their LED light bars and auxillary lights on the streets. F-ing retards. I've seen guys with 50" roof-mounted bars driving on the freeway, and the lights on! WTF. The law is now cracking down on this. Besides that, I sell this kind of stuff, so I'm always looking for legal options to recommend to customers. With that being said, I never had issues with glaring HID headlights and foglights; the joy of being low to the ground I guess.   LOL

Around here, yes. We have a problem with jacked up trucks running their LED light bars and auxillary lights on the streets. F-ing retards. I've seen guys with 50" roof-mounted bars driving on the freeway, and the lights on! WTF. The law is now cracking down on this. Besides that, I sell this kind of stuff, so I'm always looking for legal options to recommend to customers. With that being said, I never had issues with glaring HID headlights and foglights; the joy of being low to the ground I guess.   LOL

lol yeah. I was referring to the regular fog lights. Those truck lights are stupid bright. Had a truck get pissed at the speed I was going one night and turned one on. I thought I went to heaven the light was so bright! Almost ran me off the road. 

That being said, I'm super cheap and I've run chepo leds in stock halogen housings of my acura rsx and never been pulled or flashed. Probably how low to the ground it is and how I have them aimed. Though the acura housings are worlds better than ours anyhow. Haven't replaced those leds in four years now. That's what I like about them!