Kent Moore J-35917 ball joint separator?

ron350

Does any one still have a Kent Moore J-35917 tie rod & ball joint separator?

Years ago GnatGoSplat posted a picture of his J-35917.

Some guy on ebay is has one for sale but the ball in the end of the bolt does not look right. I can’t find any other pictures of the end of the bolt so I am looking for some one that has a J-35917..

You don't need it. Support the Regal by the subframe and unbolt the ball joint nut. I remove the axle nut and tap the cv shaft in some with a block of wood because a cv joint pulled apart the first time I did my Regal's cv. Then jack up right on the threaded rod portion of the ball joint to relieve the spring pressure and hammer a traditional ball joint separator in to release it. A little pb blaster can't hurt.

Edited by Imp558

Thanks Imp558 the purpose of the J-35917 is to separate the tie rod and ball joint without damaging the grease boot. My tie rod ends are 3 years old and I don’t want to bust the boots with a pickle fork.

It isn't necessary. Remove the nut, smack the knuckle a few times with a hammer, it'll pop loose. Especially if they're that new.

Or go to a parts store and rent a tie rod press big enough to slip over that point in the knuckle and push it out.

Did the same on pretty new tie rods on my Cutlass when the alternator died. popped right out without a problem.

Digitaloutsider renting a tie rod separator will do the trick if any part store rents one..

Arthritis has forced me to learn how to work smarter, slower and us a Hammer as little as possible. Having the correct tool for the job is now a must and no longer an option.

I found it you unbolt the castle nut on the tie rod then jack up on the ball joint enough you can pretty much lift the tie rod out of the C-arm with easy. Thats how I change them out, the fork is close to useless.

Consider buying a ball-joint "kit".  This was a loaner-tool at my local NAPA, until I borrowed it and liked it so much that I bought the thing.  The same kit is available from several sources.  This one was "made" by KD, which is now Gearwrench.

Joint_Kit_001.jpg

Joint_Kit_002.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-41690-Front-End-Service/dp/B000TDCCHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520819655&sr=8-1&keywords=41690+ball+joint

The Kent-Moore tool I'm seeing on eBay looks like the end of the threaded rod is mushroomed.  Might not be useless, but can't be a happy thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-KENT-MOORE-J-35917-TIE-ROD-BALL-JOINT-PULLER-AUTOMOTIVE-SERVICING-TOOL-NICE/401503921515?epid=667241632&hash=item5d7b7fa56b:g:btEAAOSww-BaWSu6

• Like 1