Need help please!

Ranger4x4.0

I have a 1996 Cutlass Supreme and long story short, the rear lateral link is bent to crap and the wheel is far from being straight (rear left wheel). From what I can see, the only thing damaged is the rear lateral link, front one looks fine. So my question is, where can I find a replacement? I tried Google and I don't know what I'm looking for and I don't want to order a wrong part. A link to the part would be very helpful if you guys can find it. Here are a couple pics I took..

20180222_113218_zpsttv3h1oo.jpg20180222_113247_zpsgtd16twd.jpg20180222_115411_zpskhmzhrdi.jpg

I don't think you're going to find a new replacement. It'll either have to be a used one from a yard or you could upgrade them to the second gen type if you're in it for the long haul with this car.

Important!

When you swap it you have to support the car, then use a jack AND A BLOCK OF WOOD to jack the fiberglass spring up to relieve the pressure or it won't be fun.

ANd please don't Off-road W-bodies any more, use the Ranger for that

Edited by Imp558

Other than the damage, the underneath looks really good.  Must not have to deal with road salty winters.  That's all I have to contribute to this conversation as I haven't messed with suspension on these cars yet!

I live on a gravel road and it's been non stop raining so it's muddy, I don't take it off-road, what happened was I hot it stuck in my yard, and my friend pulled me out, but put the chain on that...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was just having fun with your username, that's all. Replacing those when they're rusty could be a pain, as much as I hate to say it that may be a better job for a mechanic since a torch is likely going to be involved in bolt removal.

Other than the damage, the underneath looks really good.  Must not have to deal with road salty winters.  That's all I have to contribute to this conversation as I haven't messed with suspension on these cars yet!

Yeah, that trailing arm bracket is to die for, really clean.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-rear-lateral-arm-10242417/?c=Zz1yZWFyLXN1c3BlbnNpb24mcz1yZWFyLXN1c3BlbnNpb24maT1BSDg4MjgwNCZyPTQmYT1vbGRzbW9iaWxlJm89Y3V0bGFzcy1zdXByZW1lJnk9MTk5NiZ0PXNsJmU9My00bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

This is the rear lateral link for a 1996 Cutlass.  3100 or the 3.4l make no difference. It is the same part number. Honestly, this part shouldn't be that hard to replace at home. Spray down the bolts with the penetrating oil a couple days before hand, and be ready to apply heat to them nuts. 

Usually the trailing arm itself snaps on these cars first, but the mount is not far behind from falling off. 

and my friend pulled me out, but put the chain on that...

Ask your friend to cover the cost of the link that he damaged, hindsight is 20/20, he should have used the frame to pull on.

Of the two links on either side of the spring the rear lateral link (that which is damaged) is used to align the rear wheels (the front is stationary), now that just for discussion sake may not sound like an issue, but, after replacing the link one takes the car into an alignment shop to realign the wheel and discovers that the shop does not have the out-of-date unique alignment turnbuckle (just for this car platform) needed to set the toe.

One end of the turnbuckle fits into an opening in the link, the other end fits into the lifting pad in the center of the rear member. The turnbuckle is rotated in either direction to set the toe angle of the wheel

So is doing an alignment on these platforms a huge deal, can my local GM dealer do it correctly?

I tried lots of different places for my CSC. I found a small local shop, that guy was able to align it perfectly. Belle tire sucks, and a GM dealer could probably do it they would be more money. Also, those guys might laugh at a 20+ year old car.

I don't mind paying a little more as long as it's done correctly.  I hope people haven't laughed at your car!  That would make me mad.  So far, the few times I've had my International at the local garage, they really liked it and say "oh I haven't seen one of these in years and I forgot about those rear seats".  They've been really helpful.  There's been only one person I've ran into who has been a jerk, just scrap it he said.  Asshole.

I tried lots of different places for my CSC. I found a small local shop, that guy was able to align it perfectly. Belle tire sucks, and a GM dealer could probably do it they would be more money. Also, those guys might laugh at a 20+ year old car.

HA! The GM dealership pisses me off. I've had them say "what's an Oldsmobile" or say they don't carry parts for it. Shit, apparently they don't even keep anything for a car older than 15 years. Try getting a key made for a 3rd gen... impossible.

I think 94 Olds Vert found it! I called gm's parts dept. in my town, they didn't even know what my car was lol. I have the only 3.4 cutlass supreme coupe in town, I never see these things unless it's the 3.1 and I've only seen 1, and it was a rust bucket. Anywho, tried to explain what the part was because he couldn't understand, he found something that he called "spindle thing" and I'm like, no not that either. I just hung up.

Another question, my brother has a 1992 chevy lumina parts car, would it be the same? I know they have the same setup in the rear.

tried to explain what the part was because he couldn't understand, he found something that he called "spindle thing" and I'm like, no not that either. I just hung up.

this is what the alignment tool looks like....the lateral link is long out of stock at a GM dealer, all 1st gen W's with the transverse rear spring will be the same

88-8923%2817577%29.jpg

• 1 month later...

I replaced mine not to long ago. Mine was bent somehow when the shop replace the monoleaf in the rear. I ordered one from GM. It was still available not long ago. This was for a 1995 Grand Prix, but if I'm not wrong should be the same for the Cutlass?? Found it on www.gmpartsdirect.com. Also was able to have the rear alignment corrected at the tire shop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

this is what the alignment tool looks like....the lateral link is long out of stock at a GM dealer, all 1st gen W's with the transverse rear spring will be the same

88-8923%2817577%29.jpg

The guy that fixed my rear alignment used a large pry bar after they installed my new GM lateral link I got from GM Parts direct. Worked like a champ. He did see in the alignment computer the special tool from GM, but they didn't have one. Either way my rear alignments in spec and no more bent rear link.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk