Any convertible owners repaired a top?

95LQ1VERT

I bought my cutlass recently, and it's in very nice shape with only a few flaws. One flaw is the top. Has anyone ever had the top's sewing come apart with age? Like the area where the top cables are sewn in above the windows. I was thinking I may be able to repair it before having to replace it. There is no rips, tears, or holes anywhere else on it. bf9483fb9dd4d0d12a15d34da32485f0.jpgcf4122a8aaa1e7cd135c05f9a1efe006.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not on a Cutlass, but on my Jeep I have.  I got the thread from an auto interior place and the needles needed.  It was an old top and I have just enough sewing experience to pull off sewing the seams back up.  If you don't have much experience sewing, I would call some auto interior shops and ask if it is something they can do and how much for.  If not the material and some youtube videos should produce decent results.

My stitching is beginning to come apart in the same location as yours, but it hasn't started unfolding yet.  I'm hoping to replace the top this fall with a cloth one.  If I can't get the right window of opportunity (because it's my daily driver) , I was going to try replacing the missing stitching myself.  Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how it can be that difficult, even if you have no sewing experience.  The holes are already there so it's just a matter of lining the holes up and pulling the needle through isn't it?  Of course the knot you tie is important, but if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot!

I was a Boatswains Mate in my early Navy days, so I can tie a knot thankfully. 

As I recall, Boatswain's Mates were pretty much a jack-of-all trades, and could do most anything (or be assigned anything) everyone else couldn't figure out how to do...or wanted to do.  :roll:

My old top came apart in the same way.   My top was shrinking quite a bit, so the cables were really pulling at that side section of fabric.   My top was in such bad condition with other rips and holes that I ended up replacing it, instead of trying to repair the side seams. 

Your top does not look to have shrunk so much, so the cables should still fit ok in the side pockets once you sew it back up.  MemphisMan suggested using the same holes, but if the bottom flap of material has deteriorated or the holes ripped out, you may not be able to just add new thread in the same place as the original.  As Leadfoot suggested, a shop could do it for you.   I think it would be a least worth getting a quote for, then decide if it's worth saving the money to do yourself.  .   

I think you should add some filler material on the underside of the top, like they do when embroidering shirts. This way the thread doesn't tear the holes. You can use some old denim rags. 

I think you should add some filler material on the underside of the top, like they do when embroidering shirts. This way the thread doesn't tear the holes. You can use some old denim rags.

That’s called interfacing. Just make sure it’s not the kind that’s water soluble. My wife does embroidery...

I was a Boatswains Mate in my early Navy days, so I can tie a knot thankfully.

That's cool, I was a Scout leader and worked in above ground construction. If we ever get to a meet together we should pull up a case of beer and some rope and trade knots. I used to love doing that.

If I remember looking correctly, I believe just the threading came out. I don't even think there is any tears from the holes where the needle pierced through the vinyl. (My dad sewn a 15 year old canvas boat cover back together after the wind tore it up, so I have faith in repairing this top lol).

Just waiting impatiently for the weather to turn nice to be able to get out and start on this car.

Good luck with the repairs. Spring will come around eventually. When you do replace the top, go ahead and order new cables. 

I bought my cutlass recently, and it's in very nice shape with only a few flaws. One flaw is the top. Has anyone ever had the top's sewing come apart with age? Like the area where the top cables are sewn in above the windows. I was thinking I may be able to repair it before having to replace it. There is no rips, tears, or holes anywhere else on it. bf9483fb9dd4d0d12a15d34da32485f0.jpgcf4122a8aaa1e7cd135c05f9a1efe006.jpg

yes and gets worse

Went to many an upostery shop

“We replace tops we don’t repair “

One place said he would try some kind of super upostry glue he could try.

I passed ,waited 11years to replace

Be warned have a well recommended top shop do the work, I was not a 100% satisfied with the slop the shop did

Kept taking it back till I was satisfied, wouldn’t recomend this place to my worst enemy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

mine is doing the same thing, its the thread that has gone bad...there are youtube videos out there with a stitching awl...i tried it, but it didnt work very good, so i'm looking for other alternatives...glue? anything?