Differential advice..

95greencutty

Hi guys, I'm a long time reader first time poster like half the people I see on here lol.

Anyways, I have a 1995 cutty coupe 3.4 and I'm almost positive that the sun gear sheared in the end of the trans as it has no reverse, 2nd or 4th. I'm not in a great place to rebuild or replace (not a fan of most used trans as they have 20k less miles on average for 1000 bucks) so I have been planning on taking the diff off and just replacing the sun gear and dropping he fluid and filter again ofc.

I'm hoping I can get another 20k before it will need a true rebuild, my tranny guy seems to think I might have luck as well.

Just wondering, has anyone else tried a shady trans repair like this and just did they have any success or was it just a want of time?

Anyways I'm making room for it indoors now so I'll check back later. Thanks in advance

What did the shop techie say to you/show you after he connected his scanner to the car to look for trans codes & took the car for a test drive?

Realistically helpful codes in a 95? I think we're dreaming here. That's if you can get past the obd 1.5

Where are you at? 1000 for a 4t60e is expensive, look again. They are around. You should be able to get one that functions for ~300.

• Like 1

Yes in 1995 the vehicle is an OB1.5, all engines that were 3.4 or 3.8 were OBDII compliant, one needs an OBDII scanner to read the codes. There are a few trans codes that could be set if there were any sort of issue in those areas.

P0703, 705, 712, 713, 740 & 755

There is no trans codes. Just the syptoms of a failed sun gear. No reverse 2nd or 4th. It has a lot of metal in the pan when I changed the fluid but mostly chunks that looked like pieces of the sun gear. Also the trans makes a loud rattle even just idling in park seemingly right out of the end of the differential where I suspect the problem is

I'm missing 2nd 4th and reverse and it all happened at the same time. We we're stuck in the snow and it was pounded on a bit.

The problem with a junk yard trans is I need one with the 3.4l gear ratio which isn't easy to find let alone one that has less then 100k. I'd rather figure out what's wrong with this one for now

Reverse is a band, not a clutch, loss of reverse could be a destroyed band, loss of fluid application, failed reaction drum, failed input sprag.

Loss of the forward gears could be a solenoid application failure, the PCM commands the solenoid but there's no response.

The DOHC engine trans should have a final drive of 3:06, the chain ratio on mine is 37/33.

If you've got debris in the pan you're going to find debris in the converter as well. Spending your time on attempting to repair what you think may be the issue won't undo the damage done elsewhere.

Outside of a complete overhaul I agree with the others, look for a decent used replacement.

Reverse is a band, not a clutch, loss of reverse could be a destroyed band, loss of fluid application, failed reaction drum, failed input sprag.

Loss of the forward gears could be a solenoid application failure, the PCM commands the solenoid but there's no response.

The DOHC engine trans should have a final drive of 3:06, the chain ratio on mine is 37/33.

If you've got debris in the pan you're going to find debris in the converter as well. Spending your time on attempting to repair what you think may be the issue won't undo the damage done elsewhere.

Outside of a complete overhaul I agree with the others, look for a decent used replacement.

Is that final drive year specific?

I was under the impression that 94-95's had a 3.42 final drive ratio for LQ1 engines and 3.32 for L27 engines.