1989 grand prix tgp

Ls1bozo

Well like her said in my noobs are and I Drive A 1989 ASC McLaren. It's got the crappy 3.1 turbo motor in it but it's not the motor that gets me it's finding a transmission that would work with it as well as bold up and mount. Eventually I would like to do a 4.3 swap then comes another issue, can I use the 3.8 gtp transmission? Or would I be better off going with a 3.8 supercharged package? Like I said I don't want to do much fabrication I want something that will drip in and mount in its place. Or do I need to stay pre 90s. ??

The 4.3 has a different bellhousing than the 60 degree V6 and the Buick 3.8. 

If you want something that's drop and go, you're basically looking at a 60 degree 3x00 swap or  the Buick 3800 s/c swap. You can upgrade the trans to the 4T65E and even the HD but you'll have to convert the car to OBD2 and you'll need to play GM legos with other cars. I'll assume people that have done this kind of swap will chime in and tell you what cars at your local pick and pull will be donor cars

• Like 1

The 4.3 is unadulterated dog shit and there is no reason to try to fabricate one into these cars.

Just do a 3800 L67 swap. This swap is extremely well documented and you can find a bunch of threads even on this board.

• Like 2

If you want to keep things relatively simple why not pull out the LH0 engine, purchase yourself a healthy LA1 short block and do a top swap onto the LA1 block.

You transfer over the heads, manifolds and turbo to the larger displacement 3400. The LA1 is a roller cam block so you'll be using the LA1 pushrods with the LH0 heads.

The two sets of heads are both closed chamber designed, the cc'd volume of the two are near identical.

If you wanted to you could gasket match all of the port runners & massage out the runners to get a little more breathing area.

You'll more than likely be the only LA1 turbo running around, and you'll probably be pleased with how much more the LA1 can deliver over that of the LH0.

You've already got the heavy duty version of the 4T60 (non electronic). Some of the hardened internals from the 4T65 will transfer to the 4T60.

http://transmissiontechnologies.com/gm-440.aspx

If you want to keep things relatively simple why not pull out the LH0 engine, purchase yourself a healthy LA1 short block and do a top swap onto the LA1 block.

You transfer over the heads, manifolds and turbo to the larger displacement 3400. The LA1 is a roller cam block so you'll be using the LA1 pushrods with the LH0 heads.

The two sets of heads are both closed chamber designed, the cc'd volume of the two are near identical.

If you wanted to you could gasket match all of the port runners & massage out the runners to get a little more breathing area.

You'll more than likely be the only LA1 turbo running around, and you'll probably be pleased with how much more the LA1 can deliver over that of the LH0.

You've already got the heavy duty version of the 4T60 (non electronic). Some of the hardened internals from the 4T65 will transfer to the 4T60.

http://transmissiontechnologies.com/gm-440.aspx

I have a boosted LA1 in my Z24.  It's pretty sweet.

Just a note, the Turbo cars have an LG5, not an LH0

I'm normally on board with an L67 swap but this is a McLaren. At the very least it would be good to preserve the old drive train in case a future owner wants it. There was just a link posted to one hell of a parts car with a built 3.1 and a ready to assemble HD trans full of extras.

• Like 1

I have a boosted LA1 in my Z24. It's pretty sweet.

Just a note, the Turbo cars have an LG5, not an LH0

How did you deal with the front mount? I've been contemplating an LA1 swap but there's that one custom mount idk how to deal with.

I would agree with sticking with the 60 degree V6 family, especially since there are plenty of support parts and the engine has good potential. Like Imp558 said, its a McLaren and that aint nothin'

How did you deal with the front mount? I've been contemplating an LA1 swap but there's that one custom mount idk how to deal with.

I bought a custom mount for it about 15 years ago.  They are still out there, and it's actually pretty simple to fab up your own.