3.1 LH0 exhaust manifold leak

pitzel

I have exhaust coming out of the exhaust manifold in the engine compartment, probably from the gasket failing, in the cylinder that's behind the engine mount.

Is there any way of correcting this short of removing the engine?

I'm not familiar with that engine but I've yet to see one that requires removal to do an exhaust manifold gasket. You cannot pull the front mounts and remove the fans to get some clearance? Exhaust manifold bolts are a little more agreeable if you break them loose while the engine is hot.

• Like 1

The engine mount bracket, manifold, etc can be removed without engine removal. That said, you might have your work cut out for you since you live way up north and the hardware might be rather crusty by now. I would start spraying them with penetrating lube a few days before attempting the job..hit them multiple times. Having a torch handy should you need heat to help break them loose would be a good idea.

The engine mount bracket, manifold, etc can be removed without engine removal. That said, you might have your work cut out for you since you live way up north and the hardware might be rather crusty by now. I would start spraying them with penetrating lube a few days before attempting the job..hit them multiple times. Having a torch handy should you need heat to help break them loose would be a good idea.

Ah okay.   Not much salt used up here, but i'm just scared of breaking a bolt off in the head and having the job get exponentially more involved.  

I'll take a look in the spring.  

Just looking at the service manual, to remove the front engine mounting bracket to access the left-most cylinder's manifold bolts, I have to remove the A/C compressor.

Any way around this?  

Never had the *opportunity* to do the A/C compressor on an LH0 engine, if the A/C charge is still intact you might try dropping the compressor mounting bolts in the hopes of *swinging* it down & clear of the bracket before pulling up on the bracket. Might help to remove the rad fans to get extra clearance in front of the engine. (put a piece of plywood up against the rad core).

That bracket is big & ugly.