eBay coil overs??

jaredbonner1

In my experience, you'll really regret buying cheap coil overs, especially from ebay. Sure it'll lower your car, but it'll be the worst ride you've ever experienced. Better to build your own or save up for good quality struts or lowering springs.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I might consider buying quick struts on eBay as long as the strut is a recognized brand and the seller is a verified source. I buy a lot of part through eBay and have had good luck with most but I'm particular about the seller.

I saw a beautiful black 97-03 GP at the grocery store. 

It had a fist of wheel gap that really made the car look like shit. Obviously I was looking at a quik strut solution.

What a way to destroy the looks. I can see a mudrunner truck or jeep with lift kits but this shit has to stop on cars.

Save that nonsense for the uneducated.

Come on ya'all, get real.

One more simple step of swapping over stock or mild drop springs is so freakin easy.

There is absolutely no fckn reason not to get decent struts swapped in.

• Like 2

New shocks; get some springs.  Be done with it.  If you buy cheap Ebay coils you're going to get what you pay for.

I had $1500~ BC Extreme's with custom shocks on my Cobalt.  It still rode iffy and was smashed to the pavement.

Unless you have great roads and/or don't care about your spinal condition, then EBay coils are for you.

For reference, it rides about as good as to bolting a milk crate onto a metal roller skate on pea gravel.

For reference, it rides about as good as to bolting a milk crate onto a metal roller skate on pea gravel.

I thought I was king of the goofy analogies, looks like I have some competition! LOL

From what I’ve been able to gather, there’s little advantage, and several disadvantages to generic coilover solutions on W-bodies, compared to replacement with an OEM or better strut, and fresh OEM springs, or SLIGHTLY lower springs with OEM, or slightly higher spring rates.

Agreed on that point, only really so much you can do. I installed the Moog struts for the rear of the car, I bought a top strut tower brace to fit in the trunk, and I'm replacing the 11mm sway bar with a 14mm. For the front I installed (thanx to Galaxie 500XL by the way) a top strut tower brace found on the convertibles and I'll be replacing the front OEM 22 year old struts this Spring with KYBs. A 4 wheel alignment and that's going to be about it.

• Like 1

I might consider buying quick struts on eBay as long as the strut is a recognized brand and the seller is a verified source. I buy a lot of part through eBay and have had good luck with most but I'm particular about the seller.

I stay away from Monroe. They're junk. No monroe strut can withstand the brutality that is the roads of the DC metro area. I've had em on my cars in the last decade and they have all gone to shit. They didn't last 3 years. OEM ones last at least a decade.

The last Monroe stuff I bought was a pretty bad experience...I ended up with a total of 5, in order to find 2 that didn’t fail within a few thousand miles.

• Like 1

I bought Gabriel Ultra struts back in 2010, I replaced 1 under warranty because I thought it was bad a year or 2 ago only to find the replacement acted the same way and it was normal. The car got totaled last summer and those struts are still on it and in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also build your own and choose your own shocks.   I did this and put KYB's all around,  Doing it this way lets you choose the spring rate you want.  This is a fair bit more work though especially with the research and reworking your oem bits, definitely not bolt on. I highly recommend coil overs so you can set the car up to the height you want.  Otherwise you get what you get. 

http://www.a1racing.com/coil_over_kits_suspension.aspx

http://www.a1racing.com/hyperco_coil_springs_suspension.aspx

However I ditto staying away from the ebay Chinese stuff

• 9 months later...

I know these are going to be complete shiite, but has anyone actually bought these?  I'm thinking about trying them, but there are 0 reviews on any of them and no instructions.  I'm confused as to how you're supposed to install them since there are some missing parts judging by the pictures.