Newb checking in

1 of 996

I've been playing with Pontiacs for a hell of a long time.  I own and have owned GP's from 1962 to 1996 as well as many other Pontiac models.  Currently, and the reason why I'm here, I am doing a minor cosmetic restoration on a very clean, very original 1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix STE.  Attached is a photo when I bought it over a year ago.  So far, I have collected a ton of NOS parts and had the upper half (less roof) repainted due to the typical delam.  I am trying to keep as much of the car original as possible.

post-10906-0-20249200-1516150532_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks guys!  Currently the car is completely disassembled from having the upper portion refinished.  Was able to save the rest of the original paint.  I have been pretty lucky finding a ton of NOS parts for the restoration including the door handles in the correct color.  One thing that was in horrible deteriorated condition were the bumper mouldings.  I was unable to save either one and was ready to use some stick-on wheel opening moulding when by dumb luck 2 NOS ones popped up on Ebay.  The seller did not return any of my emails regarding color and was rather crazy on the price at $97.00 each but I took the chance because something was better than nothing and to my surprise when they showed up, they were in color.  So $200.00 for a couple of moulding is a lot of money but they do not need to be painted and when all is said and done, they really will be the cherry on top.

Now I need to track down the moulding around the sunroof glass.

Oh my god, your car is one of my bucket list cars!  So excited to see you with us and pics of a really rare beauty!  Congrats and thank you for sharing your experience with this car.  Please put more pics up of your restoration work as you progress.

Any more pics of the car?

Nothing right now.  The exterior and some of the interior of the car is completely disassembled from upper body paintwork, headliner, etc.  Paint is done and the headliner is almost completely back in.  Next is to wet-sand, buff, re-detail the original paint door jambs and re-detail the engine compartment prior to re-assembly with most NOS parts.  The car won't be a 100 point show car but I'm expecting it to be pretty damn nice when finished.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. You've got a really beautiful car! Can't wait to see more pics once you get it reassembled.

Thanks.  I am hoping to get back on the project within the next 3 - 4 weeks.  My first step will be to re-detail the original paint door jambs that I have cleaned & polished 2 other times.  Had to remove the heavy overspray from the guy that painted it the last time due to not masking the jambs and now I have to do it again from the guy that painted the car the right way but still got overspray in the jambs.  Last time it took me a month to straighten out the jambs, this time I'm hoping it will only take me about a week.  By the time I'm done, this car will have the cleanest jambs in the country.  LOL

Once the jambs are back to looking nice then I can move on to wet-sanding and buffing prior to re-assembly of the exterior.  Then I'll be able to move on to the little stuff like interior, engine compartment and trunk.

Oh my god, your car is one of my bucket list cars!  So excited to see you with us and pics of a really rare beauty!  Congrats and thank you for sharing your experience with this car.  Please put more pics up of your restoration work as you progress.

I just might be able to fill one of the items on your bucket list when this is done.

• 4 months later...

Okay, I've been back at it.

The new paint has been wet sanded and buffed.  Currently cleaning and hand polishing the door jambs, some assembly (that I can remember), cleaning some interior trim and looking for the last of about a 1/2 dozen NOS parts.  I am trying to get this done in time for Norwalk but the clock it going faster than all the work is. :(

Hang out for a day and post some more to get your count up and then post a wanted ad in the classifieds. That way if a member has something or knows where to get it we can help.

The criteria isn't there to screw new members like you out of the classifieds, it's to keep people who don't care about the chassis from shitting our community up like craigslist.

Any more pics of the car?

Well, I would post some more pics but for some reason I don't know how I posted the one I did.

How do you post pics without a URL?  All my pics have an http or Nikon number.

You're going thru what I went thru 15 yrs ago with my GP........fun, isn't it?

Have you come across any sort of supplier for the silver trim that fits into the front & rear bumpers & the side trim?

The red is now made of *unobtanium*.

That pic of the car I posted in your other thread searching for the mirror filler panel is our GP.

Yes, I found the fascia mouldings, with the correct shade of white edging.  Paid stupid money for them.  I have seen the red out there when I was searching for the chrome.

I originally bought one that has black edging and was going to paint it.  But found the white and now I have a black one available.

Hello STE brother!  Really fantastic STE and SO HAPPY you are giving her so much love!  Thank you for your efforts and the great pics, I'm cheering you on!

By the way, I have crossed this one off of my bucket list.  I recently found and bought my own STE!  It's still in California, bought it from the original owner and plan on bringing her home to Iowa this fall.  I will be watching your progress, hoping to learn from you for my own restoration efforts one day.  Mine needs some work but I know it will get there.  I really love your STE!  Congrats.

dknB1p.jpgAtr4rE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's so cool to see restorations happening to these w-bodys!  What a great looking car.

Thanks

1 of 996, we have a section for build threads if you'd like to make one. Everybody likes to see them and it gives you a place to keep things in chronological order.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/23-members-rides/

I am trying but unfortunately between trying to get the car done and all the other things I currently have going on I just haven't been able to take any photos.  This restoration just keeps dragging on mainly because GM can't make the same part twice.  Many of the NOS parts I have either have mounting holes that are off or the part itself is made entirely different from the original even though it carries the correct part number.  Things like this make for a long drawn out aggravating process.

My target time of having this ready for the Norwalk event is definitely not going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next week is the Pontiac Nats in Norwalk, Ohio.  After that I'll be back on this and hopefully will have more time to deal with photos and such.