Exhaust parts on the way

KnightOwl

I ordered up a ZZP downpipe w/cat, a 26" Cherry Bomb glasspack to replace the resonator, a pair of Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers for out back and a pair of stainless twin outlet tips. I was hoping to be able to install soon but the Escape has to go in the shop for monster mailbox scratch from the last snowfall, and I gotta cough up the deductible for that...so delays...grrrrr.

I'll add the P-log later when I do more under the hood. Looking forward to the better sound though  :dance:  :cool:  

Dude! That thing is going to be loud as mess! But hopefully it will sound bad@$$! Good luck! Can't wait for a video clip!

I honestly don't think it will be that loud, but we'll see. The Vortex muffs are listed on Cherry Bomb's website as one of the lower Dba rated items they offer but better flow. I'm also thinking the 26" glasspak vs the 18" unit will also control some sound. Then again, I can handle it being a bit loud as long as it doesn't drone and that raspy/buzzy noise isn't there. Most of the Youtube clips I watched the Cherry Bombs sounded aggressive without being buzzy...but then a 30 second sound clip isn't driving it around either.

The morning commute was indeed eye-opening. With the cruise on, when the car hits an incline the exhaust note is just a notch too loud. Overall I like the sound but I can tell it would get bothersome on a long trip (like a couple hours to the beach) So without further delay, and since I have to take the car back to the exhaust shop to straighten the tips, I ordered a pair of the Thrush chambered mufflers for out back. So if anyone would like the two Vortex mufflers (2.5 in/out) I'll be willing to pass some savings on. They are offset inlet/center outlet...essentially an elaborate glasspack with a sound baffle in the center, which actually works well. No raspy/buzzy noise, just a healthy growl. (a touch too healthy for my taste...and especially my wife's taste)

Just had a harsh and expensive lesson on my way to work this morning. While the overall volume of the exhaust sound is lower with the Thrush mufflers, the highway drone during the commute was annoying. I have used the Thrush with good success on other 3800 cars so I must conclude the Cherry Bomb glasspack is worthless as a resonator. I really thought with it being nearly the same length as the stock resonator it would work better than a common 18in glasspack but their design is obviously different somehow. I am now forced to find a replacement because driving the car like this is annoying as hell. Its easy to fall back on sour grapes at this point by saying if I had bought the Bonneville GXP or an LS4 powered car I wouldn't be facing this ridiculous dilemma but that's water over the dam. The 3800 is without a doubt the most tedious engine ever to try and get a decent sound out of bar none.

*Update* I just ordered a ZZP 2.5 three-chambered resonator. The product description says "very quiet"...we shall see

Yeah that’s the issue I had with my GMPP. Sounded good and no drone at idle and low speed but the minute you get up to cruising speed on the highway it droned super bad. I hated driving it like that. So it came off. That’s why I’m nervous with these dynomax super turbo mufflers.

I've been reading about the science behind drone...basically its sound waves bouncing back against the flow. The ZZP downpipe eliminates several stock restrictions, freeing up flow and sound waves that bounce off the bend around the tank and the Y-joint. At least the first set up I used posed little flow interruption, therefore less drone. Adding the chambered muffs probably compounded my problem. Since the ZZP resonator uses 3 chambers with slightly offset tubes, it should provided ample places to cancel the sound waves, similar to a Hemholtz tube. (a tube that exit the side of the pipe and is blanked at the end) Ever notice those weird blank tubes of the intake of many modern cars? Same principle. Grandprix1, your Dynmomax Turbos should be fine along with a good resonator. I have high hopes the ZZP unit will cure my problem. I drove my Taurus today (I refuse to drive the GP like this) and its only exhaust mod was the Thrush chambered muffs and it sounds great with no drone at all, but it still has the stock cat and resonator. Hopefully the Taurus sells soon but for now I'm glad to have it as a spare.

I've been reading about the science behind drone...basically its sound waves bouncing back against the flow. The ZZP downpipe eliminates several stock restrictions, freeing up flow and sound waves that bounce off the bend around the tank and the Y-joint. At least the first set up I used posed little flow interruption, therefore less drone. Adding the chambered muffs probably compounded my problem. Since the ZZP resonator uses 3 chambers with slightly offset tubes, it should provided ample places to cancel the sound waves, similar to a Hemholtz tube. (a tube that exit the side of the pipe and is blanked at the end) Ever notice those weird blank tubes of the intake of many modern cars? Same principle. Grandprix1, your Dynmomax Turbos should be fine along with a good resonator. I have high hopes the ZZP unit will cure my problem. I drove my Taurus today (I refuse to drive the GP like this) and its only exhaust mod was the Thrush chambered muffs and it sounds great with no drone at all, but it still has the stock cat and resonator. Hopefully the Taurus sells soon but for now I'm glad to have it as a spare.

Good thats what I want to hear. Ive run into so many issues trying to get them on the car. first the y pipe is a 1 7/8" pipe which is the standard replacement walker pipe. idk why it wouldn't be a 2.5" cause I thought thats what factory was but guess not so the muffler wouldn't connect to the y pipe. I bought some adapters but only to find out that the big side of the adapter is the same size as the inlet to the muffler. im going to use a pipe expander and hopefully expand the adapter just enough to let me slide it over the inlet to the muffler. thats not much to stretch MAYBE 2 tenths of an inch at most. 

Good thats what I want to hear. Ive run into so many issues trying to get them on the car. first the y pipe is a 1 7/8" pipe which is the standard replacement walker pipe. idk why it wouldn't be a 2.5" cause I thought thats what factory was but guess not so the muffler wouldn't connect to the y pipe. I bought some adapters but only to find out that the big side of the adapter is the same size as the inlet to the muffler. im going to use a pipe expander and hopefully expand the adapter just enough to let me slide it over the inlet to the muffler. thats not much to stretch MAYBE 2 tenths of an inch at most. 

This is why I let the muffler shop handle all these things. They can weld, expand, adapt, and hang all that stuff in a fraction of the time I could do it wrestling on my back. Yes, its a bit more cash but I figure I come out even by not buying the pricey parts...of course that went down the drain this time on the ZZP resonator. Such is life.

The ZZP resonator went on today and the result is perfect! I know this piece is a bit pricey but no more expensive than any units from Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and especially Borla. I honestly wonder at this point if I could've left the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffs out back and this would've hushed the sound a bit without side effect. Such is life. The bottom line is the Thrush chambered muffs sounded good on other cars I've owned and it sounds great now. The drone or buzz is completely eliminated. The overall sound is still louder and deeper than stock, full throttle delivers a healthy roar, and driving around or cruising, you can still hear the note but it is not intrusive at all at any speed. Best $119 I've spent on exhaust ever. I regret never trying it before now.

A new clip will come soon but nasty rainy weather and my recuperating condition ruled that out today.

• 3 weeks later...

Get a Frozen Boost converter.

Removing the cat will give it a much better tone, and it'll be about as perfect as a it could be.

It's too bad 98% of them sound like junk though; just the life of the 3800.  Quiet is better though; so you did the right thing.