engine ticks

90KUTTY

Where have i heard that before? Oh yeah, every morning. :lol:

Try using valv maxlife oil it helped quiet mine down a bit. At least half the people on this board have that problem.

in idle my 3.1 makes a ticking sound in park and sounds a little rough. any ideas on the problems? ( . Y . )

where to begn....

leaking intake gasket causing coolant to wash the lifters

minimum wrist pin diameter with maximum piston/wrist pin bore

crack in exhaust manifold

missing/damaged exhaust flex joint....

Funny sounds are one where I need to see/hear the car

• 3 weeks later...
Does it go away? when it heats up?

so you saying that if you have a little valve ticking when the engine is cold and it go's away when it heats up the engine is perfectly fine? just wondering cause that's what mine does

it starts when it heats up

Does it increase in volume (sound) when the RPM's increase?

Where in the engine is it coming from? Topside? Bottom? Driver or passenger side?

- Erik

the 3.1 & 3100 have this problem with a ticking noise when they start up cold soemtimes...it's not bad! GM has acknowledged this problem and they offered no solution. Mine didn't start doing it until it was over 50,000 and it only does it when it is really cold outside. I can't remember where i read it, but I know it's okay...as long as it goes away when your engine warms up.

Yeah i have the same noise in my car, I have been told it is an "exhaust leak" and that i need a new exhaust manifold gasket, as soon as i can i am going to change it and hopefully that will fix my problem. The ticking changes though, sometimes i really notice it and other times i dont...although i can never hear it from inside the car, u have to be standing by the hood to hear it.

All my w-bods do this. Age and mileage wear down on the lifters, which are hydraulic. The 2.8 does it slightly even when warm. Hell, even our 02 Beetle is doind it after the 40,000 mile mark(every new beetle I have heard over 40k on the 2.0 does it as well). Not harmful, just annoying.

Btw, when was the last time you changed your oil?

good way of getting back to the point....all i can offer is have you ever let your oil get really low or like previously stated...changed the only lately...all you have to do is let it get too low on oil once and it'll tick for good...i had a nissan do the same thing as your car...found out the oil pan seal was shot and i was running it with hardly any oil...taught me a good lesson

Nope never let the oil get low, I don't know its come from somewhere near the alternator, I thought it might be a loose bolt but why would it only do it when its warm so I don't know, its so annoying ill try some of that sea foam maybe it will work, how much is that sea foam stuff?

its very near the altenator i cant fill any vibration from the ticking, its loud in park ,but when i switch into gear its a little less intense, but can still be heard from inside the car

couldnt be ticking also be the injectors letting yuo know they are still there? REmember someone on the board pointing that out to me awhile back.

:lol: In that case, my car lets me know LOTS of things are still there every drive!

• 8 years later...

I know this seems a dead issue, since the last post was 2003 mine has started doing this as well, no ticking at cold start but once the engine is nice and warm get a noticeable tick coming from bottm of the car. forums ive read im hoping its the timing chain tensioner but would like a little more before I take it to the shop. My z has 212k miles and still runs like a champ except for the ticking