40th anniversary exhaust

KnightOwl

What did GM do specifically to the 40th GP exhaust?

I've listened to a few YouTube clips and its definitely the best sounding stock exhaust system I've heard on a 3800 engine.

Aside from the dual tips, I havent been able to find a single thing different.

Lol lol lol I've personally pulled the entire exhaust off the 40 anniv. It's identical to the stock except with cheap exhaust tips. Seriously, exact same. I was disappointed

In that case I will try to duplicate the system I had on my Bonneville .....Powerlog, Downpipe w/hi-flo cat, 2.5 resonator, Thrush welded muffs out back...and x2 tips! LOL

The exhaust is the same. Tips are different. I’ve got SE tips on my car. If there’s an exhaust clip on YouTube if these cars then there’s something done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've listened to a few YouTube clips and its definitely the best sounding stock exhaust system I've heard on a 3800 engine.

Which is still like a cat choking on a hair ball with a mixture of shovels being drug across concrete and some bees at the high rev range.

It's horrible with noise, lol.

• Like 1

I do agree with that though. the stock exhaust does sound the best. I don't mind listening to it. low end sounds good but the high end is when it sounds bad. 

I found this clip on YouTube and thought it was an interesting showcase of just how different this engine can sound with various exhaust components.

Out of these two I think I definitely lean toward the Cherry Bomb exhaust over the Borla

What the clip doesnt tell you is how the car sounds at cruise speed...droning and such...or really how loud it is overall under everyday driving conditions.

I had always associated Cherry Bomb with just glasspacks, but I was surprised when I looked on Summit Racing how many different kind of chambered mufflers they offer. Which raises the next question...What kind of Cherry Bomb mufflers did this guy use specifically?

yeah. I came across this too. At least as far as the classic cherry bomb, one of my buddies had them in his gp. I got to ride in it and man was it deafening! This clip doesn't do it justice. It sounds cool, but personally I'd go deaf if it was a daily driver. I found a borla set in the junkyard and mine is considerably louder than the clip and it sounds much more aggressive, but the cabin drone is low enough to hold a conversation or listen to music. The cherry bomb is not! There may be other cherry bomb mufflers that sound better so idk. The difference for me is that I have ss headers and a high flow cat too. I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I deleted my resonator and I don't have any "rasp", again, I contribute that to the high flow cat. I'll have to take a good video, but there's a low quality one on my member's ride thread in gpf (.com just went up if you didn't know)

I definitely plan to go with the Powerlog and ZZ downpipe w/hi-flo cat that also gets rid of the dreaded U-bend. I tried just a glasspack in place of the resonator piped out to tips on my 2001 GP GT and it sounded like what you describe...great at idle but waking the dead at any other speed...no thanks. After looking at the comments on the video, the Cherry Bomb Extreme was the muff listed. I looked over Summit and might go with the Cherry Bomb glasspack in place of the resonator (in my experience, no resonator made for a lot of drone) and then either the Cherry Bomb Extreme or Pro muffler out back. If it comes anywhere close to the video sound but just a few less decibels, I think I'd be happy with that result.

Yes glasspack for a resonator.

The longer it is, the better the noise control.  In fact if you can find an OEM one, or a Walker unit, the better.

The other trick (not that the converter matters, it actually gives it a deeper tone without one and doesn't affect the drone) is that you want a non-chambered muffler.  No flowmaster style stuff.  Think Borla, Corsa, SLP.  You aren't getting CHEAP mufflers that sound good.  However, Thrush Super Turbo's are great mufflers that are pretty damn quiet and are basically a Magnaflow knockoff.

I've had a gazillion different exhaust setups...and the quietest one I had cruising (when modded of course) was Pacesetter Catless headers, Full 3" exhaust, a Proflo 28" resonator, with no mufflers all the way back.   

This was a pull in my old heads/cam car.  Had the above mentioned exhaust as well.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/bluegtp03/media/TEP40-100Pull-1.mp4.html?sort=3&o=467

Granted, you don't hear much more than the blower except right off the kick.  Here's an idle clip with the same exact setup but I ditched the big Proflo for a cheapy glasspack and then put an actual spiral style turbo muffler behind it.  Still no mufflers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMCUElymQq8&t=75s

When I fixed up her SSEi I used a Thrush Welded Series muffler and it sounds amazing, we get comments on it all the time. It drones but it's not unbearable.

I'm planning on the same muffler for the GS but the shape of the trunk is a hurdle.

post-3252-0-29306500-1514578280_thumb.png

This is available with a single outlet but I don't know how it sounds in that configuration.

Edited by Imp558

Mount it further up before the Y.  It's doable.  Lots of room by the split if I remember.

As for the sound, Reptile from GPF had those mufflers for YEARS on his car.  They sounded very mellow; quality exhaust note.  *as quality as you can get for a 3800*

Mount it further up before the Y. It's doable. Lots of room by the split if I remember.

As for the sound, Reptile from GPF had those mufflers for YEARS on his car. They sounded very mellow; quality exhaust note. *as quality as you can get for a 3800*

so she had two single exit?

Basically looked like this...

-------[   ]==

Then it Y'd off to the dual outlet with the tips just like any OEM GP GT/GTP catback.

Does that clear it up a little?  I know it's a horribly lame keyboard drawing LOL.

Oh he had this guy here.

post-3252-0-49197000-1514591381_thumb.png

I love the sound it makes. People shake their heads and say: "THAT'S a V6?" all the time. It's not raspy and it's louder than stock.

I had a Thrush Turbo muffler on my Regal that was just a mild tone and a bit louder but I want more rumble from the next one like the welded series does.

Quality too, just holding it the metal is thick and every seam is welded. The whole thing feels like at least 16GA.

I've used the Thrush welded mufflers (from Summit) offset inlet/center outlet on two cars with great result. Nice tone, nice full throttle sound, and no highway drone (I also never go without a resonator) but I'd like this car to have a bit more aggressive bark. But the Thrush are very good quality muffler at an outstanding price.