Broken head bolt & other surprises

GPDaytona98

So pulled the motor in my 98 GTP yesterday to regasket everything including headgaskets and all the headbolts came right out until I got to the one left of cylinder 3 put up just a little fight and then... SNAP. 

This is what I'm left with:

PUe6Gya.jpg

wdG1JUG.jpg

Someone had definently been in here before seeing as how it had aftermarket head gaskets and the heads had pretty obviously been redone. That being said I don't know if they cross threaded or over-torqued the thing.

And because this engine is just full of surprises I found this in the oil pan:

YccR3uL.jpg

Don't know what this is or was but there was a decent amount stuck in the oil pickup and down in the pan.

But any help in removing the bolt or just some advice if I should even use this block is greatly appreciated.

Were it me I would hose it down with penetrating oil and leave it. Try to put the block at an angle so the deck is a horizontal surface so it pools.

I would hose it down a couple times and then grab it with vice grips tomorrow. If it feels scary you can heat the block with a torch and try to expand it away from the bolt.

Gonna level with you though, that fucker is probably crossthreaded in there so you're probably looking at drilling it out and doing a helicoil (which is not as scary as it sounds).

Yep that thing was soaked in pb blaster over night and then I torched the hell out of it so it seems like I'm going to have to drill it or take it to a machine shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep that thing was soaked in pb blaster over night and then I torched the hell out of it so it seems like I'm going to have to drill it or take it to a machine shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, somebody cross threaded it, there was other evidence of questionable work too. Maybe inspect the other holes so they can be fixed at the machine shop. If you drill just be careful not to score the deck with a power tool when you cut that down.

Weld a nut to the top. You have quiet a big of chunk sticking out to play with.

This,  See if you can get a nut that threads onto what is left and weld it.  I have had success with this in the past on other stubborn bolts that broke off in inconvenient places.  I have often wondered if the heat from welding helped too.  Regardless it worked.

welding a nut is probably the best idea, but if you don't have access to a welder then you could take a dremel and cut some notches in the top for a screwdriver, or grind a pair of flat spots so a cresent wrench or vice grips can grab someplace

I've used a pipe wrench on studs like that.  Maybe try tightening it back up and then back it out little by little, kinda working it back and forth I've been able to get even cross threaded bolts out before.  What a PITA though.

• 4 weeks later...

I would  put studs in, screw the tty bolts. Dont forget to chase the threads with a tap to clean the hell out of the threads. Alot of crap will come out.

Agreed, on a aluminum block I would judge you for using a tap to clean the threads, but on cast iron, I doubt it's an issue. That being said, I'm far too paranoid and used the correct thread chaser and not a tap, but we all knew I was insane! >.<