Transmission Cooler Lines

stuhrling

Which engine? In my experience with the lines they look similar but will only connect one way with trying to stretch or bend it in a certain way.

If you're dealing with the 4T65E, here's the schematics you'll need:

tranny_lines.jpg

ccc.jpg

so as you can see, feed is bottom, return is top. Feed line has a check ball (do not remove/alter this fitting, trust me)

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I'm not sure what you're working on but if you are having tranny cooler issues the one that comes out of a Ford Explorer is a really cool bar & plate cooler with hose barbs. I pick them up cheap and put them on our cars and they run cool as hell.

post-3252-0-39848400-1512664146_thumb.jpg

On my ‘95 Cutlass, I installed a transmission cooler from an early 3.8 Regal. Bolted right up. Not sure that this would hold true for newer cars, though.

Here’s a discussion about that from several years ago.

http://www.w-body.com/topic/51519-lq1-transmission-cooler-lines/

Edited by Galaxie500XL

On cross-flow radiators with vertical tanks, the lower fitting is almost always the "hot" fluid, and the upper fitting is almost always the "cooled, ready to go back to the transmission" fluid.

Put another way, the hottest fluid is closest to the radiator coolant outlet--the "lower radiator hose".

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your responses. I am sorry that I forgot to state what model car and engine I was speaking of in my question. One of those 3:00am senior moments! The vehicle is an 02 Olds intrigue 3.5L. I am going to be installing a trans cooler on this vehicle and wanted to get things down right before I jumped on it.

wstefan20 This is exactly what I am looking for! I appreciate the diagram as it is very helpful as is the heads up on the check ball. See, good thing I waited and checked things out with those in the know before diving in!

Proud TransCelestialsexual This looks like a serious cooler. Something like this just might work!

Any suggestions, or additional things I might need to know before attempting this please let me know!

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your responses. I am sorry that I forgot to state what model car and engine I was speaking of in my question. One of those 3:00am senior moments! The vehicle is an 02 Olds intrigue 3.5L. I am going to be installing a trans cooler on this vehicle and wanted to get things down right before I jumped on it.

wstefan20 This is exactly what I am looking for! I appreciate the diagram as it is very helpful as is the heads up on the check ball. See, good thing I waited and checked things out with those in the know before diving in!

Proud TransCelestialsexual This looks like a serious cooler. Something like this just might work!

Any suggestions, or additional things I might need to know before attempting this please let me know!

The Exploder cooler I always flush them really well on my parts washer since I don't want what's left of a Ford transmission in mine. For a bracket I just used some steel channel I had laying around for an old shelving unit or something. I tried to find a picture but it's hiding. If I find a pic I'll post it but in the meantime here's a picture of a couple of dingy broads rowing a rowboat backwards.

post-3252-0-01530500-1512690256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Imp558