Lower Intake Manifold Gasket / Bolts / Rubber Isolators

Nicutlass_Supremacy

Hi Guys!

I've been busy with a new member of my car family, an all new 1964 Impala 4dr!!! She's been something I wanted to have for a looong time!! I've haven´t forgot my RedHead Cutlass, but I think she got angry and started to leak coolant from a strange place. I colud trace the leak back to a place between the engine and gearbox, looking from below. I´ve been searching for a freeze plug or gasket and I think the problem is that lower intake manifold gasket. I've already remove the manifold and I've found that the previous owner changed that gasket (FelPro gasket almost new). I've been wondering why this almost new gasket is leaking and I think (and you could tell me if I'm wrong) that those rubber/metal insolators aren´t doing there job. They seem kind of shrink and worn out. Could those be the root of the problem? Where can I find those? In ebay I've only found those for Ford v6´s.

Also I'm wondering if there´s a freeze plug under that engine mount that´s bolt up in the head. I've seen one on the other side. Is that a freeze plug? Could that be leaking? I need to take out the exhaust to find out so I'm guessing.

Thanks!

Is the engine back together as we *speak*?

I'd suggest getting your hands on a cooling system pressure tester & test the system for leaks & have a close look to see where you have a leak. Not knowing what has *Not* been replaced was the O-ring seal for the plenum-to-manifold replaced? Has the short coolant supply hose under the throttle body been replaced?

The manifold bolts are only torqued to 18lbs.ft torque. The isolators allow the manifold to *float* but there is enough downforce to prevent leaking around the ports neoprene seals.

Seeing as you had the manifold off I take it that you did not see a lake of fluid sitting in the valley around the distribution cover between the heads.

Are you sure it isn't leaking from the quick connect fitting where the coolant line runs into the manifold? Either from the fitting itself or where it threads in? Monkey mechanics like to overtorque that fitting and strip the LIM out.

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking this was an LQ1 for some reason..

• Like 1

Is the engine back together as we *speak*?

I'd suggest getting your hands on a cooling system pressure tester & test the system for leaks & have a close look to see where you have a leak. Not knowing what has *Not* been replaced was the O-ring seal for the plenum-to-manifold replaced? Has the short coolant supply hose under the throttle body been replaced?

The manifold bolts are only torqued to 18lbs.ft torque. The isolators allow the manifold to *float* but there is enough downforce to prevent leaking around the ports neoprene seals.

Seeing as you had the manifold off I take it that you did not see a lake of fluid sitting in the valley around the distribution cover between the heads.

No, I'm waiting for all those gaskets to arrive and yes I'm planning to perform a pressure test.

Do you know where I can find those isolators?

In the aftermarket?......not that I know of, those isolators are a GM item still.

see the attached link to Tonkin Chevrolet parts,

the bolts are #536.......and according to that list not exactly economically priced & there are 10 of them, unless the $35 shown relates to a kit.

https://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=811216&ukey_make=1092&ukey_model=15778&modelYear=1995&ukey_category=22488

https://www.gmpartsprime.com/oem/gm-10127502-bolt-asm.html