Just bought an 01 regal gs, have some questions.

Billgluckman

Picked the car up for $400 due to coolant in oil and car wouldn't crank. I drained the coolant and changed the oil once so far and discovered a vacuum line that was disconnected. Car starts right up now that the line is hooked up (still runs slightly rough). I know the car was ran hot so I know there's a chance of a blown head gasket or head warpage but I'm hoping I can get away with intake gaskets. I'll be pulling the intake soon to check it out.

I've also noticed that there's coolant all around the base of the intake. Is there anywhere near the intake I should be looking for a coolant leak? The elbow under the supercharger snout is metal. It doesn't appear to be the source.

Also, it looks like a few injectors have been replaced. There are 2 different style injectors on the engine. I'm afraid someone may have replaced the original injectors with non s/c injectors if this is possible. Anyone know how I could tell?

I'm going behind someone who had no business working on a car. The day I bought it someone told me the guy had pulled a couple parts off a non s/c car which is why I'm wondering about injectors.

• Like 2

If you use a mobile device the formatting is always fucked up here.

As far as the GS goes, Congratulations! That's a great score for $400 even with severe body rot the tranny and the sum of engine parts to be rebuilt or used for a top swap exceeds $400.

As far as the coolant leak on the intake that could be a few things. None of these things matter if you have a head gasket leak or warped head because they will all get replaced or gaskets when you fix the top end.

I would start with a leakdown test and an inspection of the spark plugs to see which cylinder to look at the most closely. Worst case scenario is head gaskets on up and even if you had the heads re-done at a machine shop that top end would be good for $500 or so.

Fuel injectors are a concern and should be replaced with a known good set but the good news is the L67 isn't a rare engine so there are plenty in wrecking yards.

It would be useful to know how many miles are on it and customary to post in the new member introductions section with a couple pics of the car. Welcome to the community.

Coolant is mixing with the oil but it's not entering the cylinder as far as I know. I haven't ran the car with coolant though and don't plan to until I think the issue is resolved.

Mileage is unknown due to odometer not lighting up. This was a $400 gamble. Lol

The body is straight for the most part and no rust. Seats need replacing.

I'll have pics later

I'd order head gaskets and such. Also a supercharger coupler. Rockauto is pretty cheap and 3800 engines are easy to work on.

Or he can buy Kyle's kit... Hahahah

I may have found the issue, are those coolant ports that go through the supercharger? It looks like it to me, but I'm new to these.

Thanks I'll check the link later, I'm still digging into this lol.

post-10834-0-20115500-1511724849_thumb.jpg

yes, for the throttle body heater. if those are leaking you may get coolant into a cylinder. I'd look closely at 5 and 6 spark plug to see if there's evidence of water on them. how do you like the l67? It's not terrible to get to anything. I honestly don't mind working on them even in the car but things get easier if you pull the strut Tower bar

Possibly but it looks to me like it was coming from between s/c and intake. The intake gaskets are bad as well. I found more vacuum leaks and loose bolts too. I'm gonna try and get away with new gaskets and a tune up.

As for working on the l67, it's not too bad but I'm used to rwd v8 which is easier in most cases.

Oh and I found the 2 missing injectors in the car. I also pulled the plugs associated with those 2 cylinders and it looks like they were getting coolant so I'm hoping the 2 injectors that were removed were actually good.

You can test them. it's okay to power them up for a couple seconds at a time with a 9 volt battery and see if you can blow through them. it won't say a how well they're spraying that it will tell you that they're opening. stuck open is worse

It's a good idea to change the blower snout oil and if the coupler is sloppy do a coupler. If your blower oil smells God awful it's time. Don't take a deep breath when you smell it, lol.

Sorry Bill, running joke. Rockauto is going to be most cost effective in all likelihood.

I brought it up to help both of them out. GrandPrix1 wants to sell the top end of an L67, Bill needed it. At his price, it's a steal

From the looks of it someone has been there before you. No idea what injectors those even are.

But personally I wouldn't trust the work that the last guy did. At minimum I'd pull the intake set off the car and replace that. 

Given that you don't know if it was overheated... 3800 head gaskets don't generally go, but it can happen. I'd just be concerned with dumping good money into a engine that could be shot from the coolant in the crankcase for a undetermined amount of time. Last 3800 I got in a similar condition lasted 400 miles before it spun several bearings.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how I can get my posts to show up with the paragraphs spaced? I only have my phone to post from. I clicked "full version" at the bottom and it still doesn't work.

This is killing me