Cutlass Front Shock Tower Brace

bluecalais79

A big THANK YOU goes out to Galaxie500 for obtaining a front shock tower brace for me to install on my (3.1) 1996 Cutlass Supreme SL. Last night I installed it (6 bolts), and the first trip to work has been taken with it in the car. Holy cow man, what a difference! I have been driving this car for 4 months now, so when I took the same trip to work, same road bends, same bumps, same lane changes on the highway, I was shocked at how much better the car is handling. In particular there is one banked bend in I-91 south going into Hartford where I always give it some gas to see how the car does. Suffice it to say it was always an unhappy bend for this car at speeds over 70, due to under-steer. No more. Today it took that same bend flat as a pancake with no under-steer, and when I looked at the speedo I was going a bunch faster than what I just mentioned. A bunch.

It's really too bad GM was so cheap and only put these pieces on the Convertibles. While I see why the convertibles got them, I think they should have at least made it an option on the other cars.

If any of you out there were think about getting one of these for your Cutlass, IMHO I say go for it. Tough to find as the only way you'll get one is off a junker convertible, but I surely believe it's worth the effort. [

post-10768-0-19181600-1509627268_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, next on tap (again, thanks goes to Galaxie500XL), will be a white rear trunk lip spoiler. I'll be installing it probably next spring as the bad weather here is right around the bend, but I think it will really improve the look of the car. I did my homework and in 1996 if you got a Series III or Series IV Cutlass Supreme you could get the spoiler as an option. Based on the options in this car I've narrowed it down to being a Series III so it's not running afoul of the purists/judges at car shows. And really, no big deal on that, at this point in time I think that point isn't even relevant. Drive and enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks, next on tap (again, thanks goes to Galaxie500XL), will be a white rear trunk lip spoiler. I'll be installing it probably next spring as the bad weather here is right around the bend, but I think it will really improve the look of the car. I did my homework and in 1996 if you got a Series III or Series IV Cutlass Supreme you could get the spoiler as an option. Based on the options in this car I've narrowed it down to being a Series III so it's not running afoul of the purists/judges at car shows. And really, no big deal on that, at this point in time I think that point isn't even relevant. Drive and enjoy.

I do like the spoiler and luggage racks on these cars, is this your daily driver?

Yep, it's my daily driver until the first snowfall, then it'll be time to take the truck to work until next spring. I wanted to buy the lowest mileage 1994-1997 Cutlass I could get my hands on back in July. There is a red one on Auto Trader right now with 40,xxx miles on it that's not too far for me to get, but the asking price is too high, and the car's condition is actually a bit too nice for what I wanted to use it for. Mine had 57,373 on it when I got it on E-Bay for $1,800 but man, did it have some issues. In retrospect I probably should have bought the red one. Mine needed a new radio, new power antenna, rear struts, new trailing arms, all new fuel lines, brake lines, transmission cooler lines, alternator belt, battery, etc. And a full new exhaust system, including the Cat. In short the car must have been a sir-sits-alot. Outside. Floor Boards are great though, and the rear bumper shows minimal rust so I'm convinced it was a car that just flat out wasn't used much but was not stored inside, either. It's an Indiana car.

And man, did that trunk smell bad! That took some doing removing that funk.

It sure is, the local Bar/Restaurant holds a charity event every Mischief Night/Cabbage Night/Halloween, for $1 you get a roll of toilet paper and you can go to town on any tree on the grounds. It's quite a spectacle every year (this year being no exception), and it is endorsed by the police in town. I guess they feel if you do it there, you won't do it somewhere else. I commend those folks who land them on those top branches, that's quite a throw!

I remember growing up in NJ in the 70's, Cabbage Night as it was called was almost like a religious holiday. Our whole town virtually looked like the photo I posted! Great fun but looking back it was a mess. :(

• Like 1

Yep, it's my daily driver until the first snowfall, then it'll be time to take the truck to work until next spring. I wanted to buy the lowest mileage 1994-1997 Cutlass I could get my hands on back in July. There is a red one on Auto Trader right now with 40,xxx miles on it that's not too far for me to get, but the asking price is too high, and the car's condition is actually a bit too nice for what I wanted to use it for. Mine had 57,373 on it when I got it on E-Bay for $1,800 but man, did it have some issues. In retrospect I probably should have bought the red one. Mine needed a new radio, new power antenna, rear struts, new trailing arms, all new fuel lines, brake lines, transmission cooler lines, alternator belt, battery, etc. And a full new exhaust system, including the Cat. In short the car must have been a sir-sits-alot. Outside. Floor Boards are great though, and the rear bumper shows minimal rust so I'm convinced it was a car that just flat out wasn't used much but was not stored inside, either. It's an Indiana car.

And man, did that trunk smell bad! That took some doing removing that funk.

I like to hear stories of how people get these cars.  Very cool!  What brand of power antenna did you get?  I'm sure I'll need one for my car sometime down the road.  Are they easy to install, if you did it yourself.

Replacing the rear fender power antenna is a snap as compared to replacing one in the front fender of the 1978-1987 Cutlasses which is a hellish nightmare. Peel away the right side trunk carpet piece and it's right there waiting for you. A really straight forward, easy job. It took me about 10 minutes.  I got mine on E-Bay a factory Delco power antenna, I believe the Part Number is 10277370

Replacing the rear fender power antenna is a snap as compared to replacing one in the front fender of the 1978-1987 Cutlasses which is a hellish nightmare. Peel away the right side trunk carpet piece and it's right there waiting for you. A really straight forward, easy job. It took me about 10 minutes.  I got mine on E-Bay a factory Delco power antenna, I believe the Part Number is 10277370

Awesome, thanks so much.  This will be handy when it comes time to change mine out.