LS4 into '92 GTP?

crazyd

Okay, just saw one of these V8 Grand Prixs recently, and it sounded so sweet that I wondered if it's possible to drop the whole thing into my GTP someday.  If the 284 lets go again I'm not replacing it.  Could the whole thing, 4T65E-HD and all, drop in?

I did a forum search and didn't turn up anything. Point me to it, though I'm not sure how an all-iron V6 with a supercharger could be significantly lighter than a NA all-aluminum V8, I'll have to look it up and see what the difference is.

But there's no getting around the noise an L67 makes.  It's obnoxious, both inside and outside the car.  But that V8 GXP, it was musical - it sounded better than any other LS I've ever heard.  Never seen or heard an LS4 in person before, and I was impressed.

Not so sure about an LS4 sounding better then the rest of them? LS7 is truly the best sound in the world especially with a cam. Nothing gets any better then that. I’m sure you could LS swap it but it’s going to be much harder. Keep in mind the LS has 2 extra cylinders and all the goodies that go with those cylinders. If you keep a stock exhaust it’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea how the LS4 mounts, but if its already been crammed into a w-body i'm sure its possible.

The 4t65 they put in those has a habit of blowing up, they run VERY hot in those cars... IMO a external trans cooler would be a must.

Keeping the 5 speed manual would probably be the best bet.

I'd say getting it in the car and mounted would be the easy part. Getting the electronics/pcm working would be a challenge and you'd be in uncharted waters. Not saying not to do it because of that but you'd be patient zero

During my 3800 swap into my first gen with a getrag 282 I've used the fiero groups as a reference.  There are obviously many differences but also many similarities for clutch/flywheel and wiring/ECU needs along with how to eliminate the DBW TB.  

Your question peaked my interest, and I found this swap thread on Pennocks Fiero Forum.  The guy used an F40 6 speed but it's worth a read....  It also provides links to other fiero swaps.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000123.html

Yes, I've been watching the LS4 swaps on Pennock's, and it seems like the major challenge initially faced with it was disassociating the automatic from it.  Fieros and 1st-gen W-bodies have a lot more in common with each other than you'd think, in fact the little P-car probably has more in common with the W than with anything else.  If it can be done to a Fiero it can be done to a W-body!  I love the 284, but the LQ1 doesn't seem to be especially well matched to it - maybe that's down to the fact I have a Gen-2 LQ1 in mine running on Gen-1 ECM calibration (since no OEM Gen-2 284 calibration exists), but the shift points are often clunky and difficult to match just right, causing some herky-jerky stuff that I'm past the point of enjoying.  Same issue with the LS4, there's no OEM manual-trans ECM calibration, so it would all have to be done by hand.  I've been down that road, and you never quite seem to get it as good as OEM.  And having that much engine mounted transversely would likely be unbearably herky-jerky with a manual with even slight miscalibration.  So that's why I was thinking about sticking with the automatic to minimize that as well as simplifying the marriage of the electronics.

• Like 1

No, but I do know about Ryan & Sinister from the Fiero Forum.  I hadn't thought of that, but I know he's got a lot of LQ1 calibration experience.  I guess it might be worth dropping him a line.  Thanks Steve!  

The other major problem is all the vibration I get from hard acceleration despite having replaced the halfshafts.  I cured it on another 284 with one of those Timken output-shaft support bearings that replaces the oil seal, but that 284's bellhousing was damaged in a clutch failure and they don't sell those bearings anymore.  So I've still got that bearing, but have no idea how to get it out.