LQ1 motor question.

jiggity76

Are there numbers on the block and heads and such to match the body on these cars?  Is there such a thing as matching numbers like the old muscle cars?  Is there a way to know if the original motor has been replaced with a different one I guess?

The old muscle cars, and cars of that vintage, had the VIN stamped into the block. That is how people know if a car is numbers matching. Meaning the engine has been with the vehicle since the factory. I think you can find part numbers on the block that will identify it as a VIN X LQ1. To be able to ID it to a certain VIN # is probably not going to happen.

The old muscle cars, and cars of that vintage, had the VIN stamped into the block. That is how people know if a car is numbers matching. Meaning the engine has been with the vehicle since the factory. I think you can find part numbers on the block that will identify it as a VIN X LQ1. To be able to ID it to a certain VIN # is probably not going to happen.

Ok, thank you.  I wasn't sure but was just wondering.

• 1 month later...

The partial vin number (sequence number only) on an LQ1 will be stamped into a small machined pad above the location where the starter mounts. If you are looking at the front of the engine, the stamp will be facing forward. The pad is only about an inch tall and wide. The partial vin will also be stamped on the transaxle.

• Like 2

The partial vin number (sequence number only) on an LQ1 will be stamped into a small machined pad above the location where the starter mounts. If you are looking at the front of the engine, the stamp will be facing forward. The pad is only about an inch tall and wide. The partial vin will also be stamped on the transaxle.

Awesome, thanks so much.  I would have never in a million years had known where to look.  Now I can at least vindicate that the motor/trans are original to the car and hopefully preserve it throughout the years.