UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Dragster1970

What the heck!!!!!!!

I thought about trying autocross, but I'm afraid of breaking stuff

Autocross is sooo much fun!! I do it once a year cause it’s expensive to do it all the time and that event I can do for free. Well after the $40 entry fee to the show. It tests the car pretty good but I don’t think to the point that your pushing the limits of it. It’s hard on the brakes, steering, and suspension. Your supposed to go WOT at any point your able to but usually it’s not for long. The course I did the fastest I got it to was 40mph 50 if I was getting really testy. I really didn’t have any issues. I stopped every 3 or so runs just to let things cool down a little bit but it’s definitely worth it.

but also if it doesn't break, I don't have to fix it at all LOL pretty sure my brakes and suspension would be more than fine, it's breaking an unfixable 284

It's unlikely you would hurt it, most cars get into second or third and keep it there for the whole track.

My 3rd synchro has been sketchy since I've had it, so more of an excuse really! That and I don't know if it's a good idea with spacers, and my stockers don't have good tires. I've wanted to for a few years but don't know anyone else, and life is busy

I would love to do autocross, but my car can't turn faster than 5 mph or it will shred the rear tires,

and the turning radius is huge because the headers are huge and the front tires hit when you turn.

I really wanted to do one of those distance races like a 3-5 mile track and see if I could hit 300 MPH.

I only have a 2 gallon fuel cell, not sure it would make it. :( A 300 MPH ticket would be frigging cool!!!

I almost forgot, I saw another one of us at RT 66 last day of the season.

37032572120_85060b16a8.jpgIMG_20170922_185903[1] by J L, on Flickr

Yep, shift solenoids and a converter lockup solenoid, which is all ECU controlled.  Problem with the 4t65-E is the input shaft is weak, then if you spin the tires and then hook you can lunch the differential.  Then you get into the chain drive issue.  There used to be a GM Racing 1" chain available but that is now unobtainium.  Last time I saw one for sale it was $1000 for the chain/gearset.  Then throw in a 300m input shaft, couple other goodies and you have a 3-4K trans.

Yea, def. not like the old days.  Wish I could swap in a Power Glide or even a decent 400 and call it a day.  Only way to get that in a grand prix is to drop down the alphabet from a W-body to the G-body.