ever use the convertible in a parade

kennyb13126

was asked to let the king and queen of the homecoming to ride in the convertible for the parade...I think they may want to sit on the back of the seat so everybody can wave to them...the thing is, I dont know if they will sink into the opening where the top folds into...should I fill that area with something so  the donnt fall in, should I place a board or something across the back of the seat...anybody ever done this before? anything you can think of that I should do to get ready for it?

Watch in the mirror and if you see any potential damage happening to your top's cover just goose the gas and send them out the back before they do any serious damage. Make sure neither of them has metal snaps or buttons that may scratch the trunk lid on the way out to be safe.

• Like 1

was asked to let the king and queen of the homecoming to ride in the convertible for the parade...I think they may want to sit on the back of the seat so everybody can wave to them...the thing is, I dont know if they will sink into the opening where the top folds into...should I fill that area with something so  the donnt fall in, should I place a board or something across the back of the seat...anybody ever done this before? anything you can think of that I should do to get ready for it?

I've never had the car in a parade but I've had friends do shenanigans in the back seat, usually involving the roll bar. I've sat on the ledge where the headrest is on the backseat. It's stable, but I'd be more worried about the back glass more than anything else. The back glass rests in that pocket area where they would sit. In theory, you could put a cushion on that area so they can sit there and not break the glass.

I’ve had folks ride on the top of the back seat in a parade before...high school homecoming football game. My car had 550 miles in it at the time and those little turds had very specific instructions to sit on the top of seat back ONLY, or there would be hell to pay. It went off without a hitch ha!

• Like 2

I doubt my convertible will ever be in good enough shape to be parade-worthy (maybe with a LOT of decorations?), but I've thought about how to do it.   I would definitely want to add something to protect the back glass.   I've got the rear bench, so the seat back is flat but a little thin to sit on.   A 2x4 cut to fit with the ends on the rear strut towers (or maybe across the folded top?  Do you have the boot cover?)  would protect the rear glass, and then you could put cushions over that.  I wouldn't want to just put cushions on the glass, the weight of two people will put a lot of strain on the glue holding the back glass in place.   If you have time, you could cut plywood too span the gap between the seat back and the 2x4.   Cover any wood with blankets or carpet scraps, any wood back there will scratch up the plastic and leather.  The good thing is that a homecoming parade is pretty short, so they won't have to sit on it very long.   

Another thing to consider: make sure to cover the rear seats with a large blanket, and fold it a few times on the lower seat cushion.   The queen may be wearing heels, and if she puts all her weight on one foot, it could damage whatever she steps on.   

Finally, take a picture and post it on w-body!!

the parade went great...I have a bench seat, I pulled the seat out, put in 2 5 gallon lowes bucket, put a 2x10 across the buckets, and put the seat on top of the 2x10. the kids rode in comfort on the seat, but high enough so the could see. they were comfortable...one guy with a mustang convertible looked at my setup and commented that he hope they didnt damage his top. turns out the queen was a friend of mines daughter (we are both firemen) his wife took a great photo...in the end...everything was fine, nothing got damaged...no worries...thanks for all the input...I'll post the photo in my gallery

it did work great, and it was easy, and I didn't have to worry about them ruining my top or anything...it didn't cost me anything either, I had everything in the garage.