Ignition Cylinder Removal With No Key

1989 Pontiac Se

I recently bought a 2004 grand am gt for a cheap project, but i lost the key a while back and now its time to fix it but i dont know how to remove the old cylinder. Any help?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Oh that's a game changer. Start pulling the dash apart

I used to have a Grand Am. He has to pull the trim ring around the ignition and pull the radio bezel. He'll have a better view of the ignition cylinder that way.

Crazy enough i took a drill and drove through the bottom orlf the key cylinder where it latches. Lucky for my i only damaged the old cylinder and was able to slide the new ctlinder right in. Once i knock that oart out and the new set up worked i relearned the key on the first try.. 10 minutes in the on position. Turned it back for five seconed and the car started right up.

I recently bought a 2004 grand am gt for a cheap project, but i lost the key a while back and now its time to fix it but i dont know how to remove the old cylinder. Any help?

WHY are you pulling the lock cylinder for the ignition?  Is there something wrong with it, or are you doing it because you lost the key?

If the only problem is the key, ask a GM dealer to look it up and cut a new key based on the VIN number.  About ten times easier than screwing with the cylinder.

• Like 1

WHY are you pulling the lock cylinder for the ignition? Is there something wrong with it, or are you doing it because you lost the key?

If the only problem is the key, ask a GM dealer to look it up and cut a new key based on the VIN number. About ten times easier than screwing with the cylinder.

Yeah i bought the car for 150 bucks with a new starter and key cylinder with the deal.And yes, the previous owner lost the original key. He simply said if you can get it running you can have it. So i just worked with what i had. I know about the vin# process but i just couldnt wait. i had hear it run. Having the car stuck on very unsafe jacking ground, and wrestling with the stupid little plastic starter cover for half an hour i figured work smarter not harder. So i just swapped cylinder to get it moved. He was going to junk the car but i saved it. Car has a 3400 sfi It Fire Right Up. Quiet As A Mouse And Still Lights Up The Tires With Ease. So good even, i couldnt imagine it sat up a whole year. Only because they didnt know that if the took the factory radio out for a aftermarket they would have problems starting it because of the theft system.

That doesn't sound right, I wonder if your antitheft is malfunctioning or non-existant.

Oh trust me. The theft system works. They had problems starting the car because they removed the factory radio not knowing about the theft system. Even when i put the new cylinder i. Had problems starting it as you migjt find i wrote and artcle about the not start no crank issue. Yeah theft sytem 101. I was just lucky it worked on the first try. I tried my best to get the timing on point. I had to do the same i. My 2003 Grand Prix that car rook i tries lol

Seems like it's easy to access. On the Monte carloI had to go from beneath. No path through the radio cavity.

Didnt evem habe to take the radio out i just to a drill and drive throufh the bottom of the cylinder where it latches. It drove through the old cylinder clip. Saving the plastic lock tab that holds the cylinder in place inside the ignition system.

• 4 months later...