Transmission fluid in radiator, replaced radiator what is proper way to flush

NCTyphoonKid

Just as the title says what is the proper/best way to flush the system out. I swapped out radiators guess it had a leak in the internal cooler. Want to make sure everything is good, I did flush with water and some dish soap but still have remnants showing up.

It's definitely not as heavy as it was but still has a little bit in it. Will probably just go ahead and add a external cooler that way everything is separated. And I don't have this problem again in the future. It isn't oil I wish I had taken a picture of it earlier but it was reddish pink and smelled like transmission fluid. I know it isn't dexcool because it had regular green antifreeze in it before I did my engine/trans swap

post-10778-0-19934400-1506823407_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's not oil the picture is deceiving. This is similar to what I saw earlier. I should've swapped the radiator from my parts car when I did the swap but I swapped it in today. I was wanting to flush it the best I can to make sure everything will be ok now.

post-10778-0-30531300-1506829714_thumb.jpg

Keep flushing.  Don't add anti-freeze until you're sure it's clean--unless you're in an area of freezing temperature.

"I" would fill with water and a hint of detergent, drive it for an hour, dump the water.  Refill, another hint of detergent, drive it an hour.  Dump.  Refill.  Repeat as needed.  When there's no trace of ATF when you check under the rad cap, flush without the detergent, and then you're ready for the anti-freeze.  You'll be well-versed in the bleeding procedure after all this.

• Like 1

Keep flushing.  Don't add anti-freeze until you're sure it's clean--unless you're in an area of freezing temperature.

"I" would fill with water and a hint of detergent, drive it for an hour, dump the water.  Refill, another hint of detergent, drive it an hour.  Dump.  Refill.  Repeat as needed.  When there's no trace of ATF when you check under the rad cap, flush without the detergent, and then you're ready for the anti-freeze.  You'll be well-versed in the bleeding procedure after all this.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow then. It's definitely not as bad as it was I put the water hose in the radiator and turned the heat on and let the car idle for a little while letting the water run through it with the drain open.

I'd be concerned as to how much fluid went in the other direction?.......and over what period of time has this been happening?

the trans coolant pressure in in the area of 30-50lbs...when the powertrain is running,

when you shut off the engine that pressure immediately disappears but the coolant pressure does not. The 16lbs in the coolant system takes time to dissipate.

I'd be concerned as to how much fluid went in the other direction?.......and over what period of time has this been happening?

the trans coolant pressure in in the area of 30-50lbs...when the powertrain is running,

when you shut off the engine that pressure immediately disappears but the coolant pressure does not. The 16lbs in the coolant system takes time to dissipate.

Thankfully I think I caught it pretty early, I swapped the whole engine and trans from a 93 into my car and it didn't have any issues with the coolant, oil or trans fluid. Before I swapped it I believe one of my intake gaskets had went and I did a quick flush

By “Dish Soap†I hope you mean dish washer machine soap or you will be flushing soap suds all day long.

Dish washing machine soap cleans the cooling system and rinses out easy with little or no suds.

By “Dish Soap†I hope you mean dish washer machine soap or you will be flushing soap suds all day long.

Dish washing machine soap cleans the cooling system and rinses out easy with little or no suds.

Yes not the sudsy kind

I'll give that a shot tomorrow then. It's definitely not as bad as it was I put the water hose in the radiator and turned the heat on and let the car idle for a little while letting the water run through it with the drain open.

With "THE" drain open???

If this is a V-6, you should have three drains open (assuming there's two block drain holes in the engine.  Some Buicks don't have block drains)  Sometimes the block drain hole has a knock sensor crammed into it.