Is this a common option combination?

MemphisMan

Hey all. I'm seriously looking for a fraternal twin (aka coupe) version of my vert. I found this 95 coupe on cl and it's got me a little confused. It's got an LQ1, but doesn't have ECC to include steering wheel controls. I learn something new every day because I was thought all LQ1 equipped cars came with ECC and steering wheel controls. That being said, would this car be pre-wired for ECC or should I keep looking? I just don't see may 95 green/tan/LQ1 coupes in decent shape for sale anymore.

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-oldsmobile-cutlass/6316641377.html

post-3600-0-71883500-1506712495_thumb.jpgpost-3600-0-39030400-1506712561_thumb.jpgpost-3600-0-93693000-1506712470_thumb.jpgpost-3600-0-75273700-1506712483_thumb.jpg

Edited by MemphisMan

I found this old link...

http://www.w-body.com/topic/11410-climate-control-swap/page-2

The short answer is anything is possible...but not all things are advisable.

You'll need quite a bit--the dual zone knob for the passenger door, the airbox from an ECC Cutlass...the door actuators, a temperature sensor...and if you want steering wheel controls, you'll need a different turn signal switch to accommodate those, too.

I haven't found anything that tells me whether the wiring is present in non-ECC cars.

In short, looks like a massive undertaking.

Ordinarily, I'd advise against it, but at the same time, I'm talking to the guy that has the only '95 Cutlass Supreme with a HUD in the world, other than the prototypes GM built.  :dance:

Edited by Galaxie500XL
  • Like 1

Keep in mind, too...the ECC actually communicates with the OBD bus in the car...there's a cute trick you can do in your convertible to get speed, coolant temperature, and other car information to display on the ECC.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

Depends... Is ECC important or just the radio controls?

Depends... Is ECC important or just the radio controls?

They are both important to me. I want the cars to be identical in every way except the tops.

I found this old link...

You'll need quite a bit--the dual zone knob for the passenger door, the airbox from an ECC Cutlass...the door actuators, a temperature sensor...and if you want steering wheel controls, you'll need a different turn signal switch to accommodate those, too.

I haven't found anything that tells me whether the wiring is present in non-ECC cars.

Ordinarily, I'd advise against it, but at the same time, I'm talking to the guy that has the only '95 Cutlass Supreme with a HUD in the world, other than the prototypes GM built.  :dance:

Seems like I can get those parts from a donor pretty easily. The thing I wouldn't want to tackle would be dealing with wiring that isn't already there. I already have extra wheel controls and the dual zone knob for the passenger door. Oh yeah, I'll have to find another HUD switch too :dance:
  • Like 1

I found this old link...

Thanks for finding that thread. It would really depend on the wiring being there. Part of me says to keep looking. Crazy, but I found what looks like the exact same optioned car with half the miles for a couple of hundred $ more today. Looks to be in great shape except the passengers door looks dented. It's in SoCal so hopefully no rust. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1995-olds-cutlass-supreme-sl/6322611972.html

Keep in mind, too...the ECC actually communicates with the OBD bus in the car...there's a cute trick you can do in your convertible to get speed, coolant temperature, and other car information to display on the ECC.

I've not heard that before...how do you do it? Edited by MemphisMan
  • Like 1

It’s been awhile, but I think the secret is to press both control knobs simultaneously. I posted details years ago on this forum, but it appears I can’t find it any more.

Pressing both buttons at the same time does change the display to '-00'. Then it looks like you can get info on 22 different read outs. I'm guessing that's actually divided by 2 (eng/met). I have no idea how to decipher it though.

So nobody knows if a non ecc car is pre wired for ecc if it comes with an LQ1? I might be willing to tackle the job anyway, but just want to understand the level of effort required.

Oh yeah, I'll have to find another HUD switch too :dance:

:eek: Sounds like finding a needle in a hay stack....

Thanks for finding that thread. It would really depend on the wiring being there. Part of me says to keep looking. Crazy, but I found what looks like the exact same optioned car with half the miles for a couple of hundred $ more today. Looks to be in great shape except the passengers door looks dented. It's in SoCal so hopefully no rust. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1995-olds-cutlass-supreme-sl/6322611972.html

That one in LA looks nice for the price. The door looks like a PDR guy might be able to get the dents out, if they are even dents at all, or just reflections (reflections look different when looking from the front and the back, so who knows.) 

:eek: Sounds like finding a needle in a hay stack....

That one in LA looks nice for the price. The door looks like a PDR guy might be able to get the dents out, if they are even dents at all, or just reflections (reflections look different when looking from the front and the back, so who knows.) 

I can't get the guy in LA to respond.  Two text messages and an email, no response.  It's still listed as being for sale.  I might just have to keep looking unfortunately.  It would've worked out nicely though...I'm going to LA to visit my mom for New Years and would've driven it back to Memphis depending on the condition, specifically if the timing belt had already been changed.

So the one in Ohio is already sold and I can't get a response from the guy in LA.  Probably for the better.  I guess I'll just wait till I find the right one.  :shrug:

What happened to the one not far from me?

That was a parts car I was thinking about getting. It appears to have been sold.