Check Engine Light, but Can't Pull the Codes

Mitchellman

Yup I would treat the egr problem first. The O2 code could be set by the ecm being unable to lean or richen the mixture from a stuck egr valve. Not that the o2 sensors are too expensive to replace anyway.

• Like 1

Yup I would treat the egr problem first. The O2 code could be set by the ecm being unable to lean or richen the mixture from a stuck egr valve. Not that the o2 sensors are too expensive to replace anyway.

20 year old car, it wouldn't hurt to change the o2 sensor. If the EGR has carbon buildup, the o2 sensor may be faulty from caked on carbon.

I have to look deeper into it which O2 it's coding for. I replaced one of the O2s 3 years ago and EGR is only 4 years old, but will definitely pull it off and clean everything.

Did th e obd 1.5s have two o2 sensors? FWIW the O2 behind the cat just tells the computer the cat is functioning, it doesn't affect performance.

yes

I'm curious to hear what your solution ends up being. 

I've also got an OBD 1.5 car, and don't have a scanner.   Amazingly, I haven't needed one yet, my car's got 220k and showed it's first Check Engine Light recently.    My car runs and idles fine, just a slight mpg drop.   I changed my upstream O2 sensor first, just because I think it was original and was overdue to be changed but it didn't help.  Next I'll try to clean the EGR, hopefully that works and I don't have to buy a new one.    If cleaning your EGR works, please share your method of cleaning.   

A volt meter will test most of the sensors

Largely true.  It will take all day.  You will need to pierce the wire harness unless you've got a fistful of adapters, or a breakout box.   If you pierce the harness, you can expect it to corrode eventually.  Sealing the hole with silicone or electrical tape seems to slow the corrosion some.

A scan tool will do it in fifteen minutes, from the comfort of the driver's (or passenger) seat.

If you're working on a computer-controlled vehicle, you owe it to yourself to buy a computer-interface tool (Scan tool.)

It's rarely if not never necessary to nick a wire, a simple straight pin or safety pin will slide under the seal at the plug and make contact with the pin inside.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I am a professional diagnostician and a lot of shops call me when they can't figure stuff out

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Scanners like that, can they pull ABS codes or Airbag codes?

The actron he mentioned can't pull abs or airbag codes, it's engine/trans only. About the cheapest option to get abs codes specifically might be the old school OTC ABS Reader tools that pop up on ebay from time to time. Model number 3758. There's one on there now for $39 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-SPX-ABS-Anti-Lock-Brake-Scan-Tool-3758-Ford-GM-others-/332430328853?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Those 3758's were around $500-600 back in the day.

Edited by mfewtrail