1995 gtp how to turbo it?

TpottsThe1

Okay so I may not have dug deep enough so I guess I will start a new one. How do I go about turbocharging my 1995 grand prix gtp has the 3.4 dohc 24v v6 obviously I have never messed with turbos before so I'm a little well alot lost what turbo do I buy don't want super big or exspensive just a little boost what do I need what is the best way to do it so on. Also where and what engine mods should I do before I turbo it. Also where do I get a better tranny or parts to rebuild one better?

Custom. Custom. Custom. There are no kits, there is no easy way to do it. Read up on turbo systems in general, get a good idea how a turbo setup works, and then plan on spending a ton of time and even more money fabbing stuff up to fit the already cramped engine bay. It can and has been done, but don't expect it to be a weekend job.

• Like 5

Turbo LQ1's are a Fiero thing moreso than a W body thing. Most folks on here get rid of their 60 degree for a 90 degree V6 (the Buick 3800 supercharged). There may be something floating around the forum, but it's deeply buried somewhere...if at all. 

If you're serious about turbocharging the LQ1, I'd suggest searching "LQ1 Turbo Fiero" and going from there. As Psychomatt said, everything is going to be custom. 

Thanks phychomatt. I kinda had that part figured but was hoping someone may have done it and already had the plans or how to setups type thing lol and Nas thanks I will search that and go from there. I have found some 30ibls injectors I think will work.

if those 30lb/hr ratings are at LQ1 fuel pressure(43.5PSI), then they would support up to the 290HP range pretty easily. however, if they're rated at 30lb/hr at 58PSI(like a LS1), then they would only be the equivalent of roughly 26lb/hr injectors, which are more suitable for the 250HP range. it only takes about 4PSI to get a LQ1 to that point, which is going to be a lot of time/money/effort for only a 40HP improvement.

RedZMonte on 60degreev6.com built up a turbo LQ1 for his 95 monte carlo, ran 7PSI with a T04E-60 and made over 325HP(at ~5800RPM) to the wheels. this didn't require any kind of engine  modification other than the choice to use the 96/97 intakes and the exhaust work necessary to mount the turbo.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/performance-brainstorming/topic46776.html

when he ran 5PSI, he made 265 to the wheels. photobucket is stage 4 cancer now, so the photos are hell to get to, but here's the dyno plot for 7PSI:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/redzmonte/media/bWVkaWFJZDo0OTc4MjkwNQ==/?ref=1

it's in MPH due to a coil pickup issue at the time(if I'm  remembering our conversation about it), however knowing the 4T60 2nd gear  ratio(1.57), w-body tire size(26.3"),  final drive ratio(3.43) and plugging it into a calculator:

http://efi.moonwell.com/gears.php

you can reverse the HP values into torque and RPM figures as well.

not many engines take to boost quite the way the LQ1 does.

• Like 1

Thankyou very much that is the lq1 I keep seeing on google but can never view the photos. Now I was able to screen shop the ones I needed. I figured I would put my battery in the trunk. I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere lol I do need to look more into those injectors I found bigger ones but figured the 30 would be good enough even without a turbo to give me a little extra.

I know that but theoretically couldn't I make that work? Engine compartments are very similar in size. I would still need a custom intake manifold or a customized I would think

For the money and effort you`d be better off with the L67 swap. Then you can enjoy aftermarket parts without running boost on an engine with a timing belt and get the benefits of the HD 4T65 transmission. Even if you did theoretically boost a LQ1 that archaic 4T60 is going to crap on you sooner rather than later.

True, and I usually back an L67 swap being that I'm insanely biased but if the LQ1 can do something good with a few pounds of boost it would be a really neat build to follow. The transmission is still an issue though.

The amount of things that would apply from a 89/90 TGP would be largely theories and ideas how to do things more then parts.

The exhaust manifolds in addition to being way too small won't fit

The turbo itself is too small

The crossover is too small but would be a good place to draw inspiration from in making one of your own.

Oil feed and returns should be similar. Of course adding a barb to your existing oil pan would probably be the easier solution for a turbo oil return then finding a TGP oil pan that does literally the same thing

Can a front exhaust manifold fit backwards on a rear head? I don't know that answer, I *think* you might be able to, you'd need to look into that further. Of course that would make EGR impossible without doing something TGP-like for the stovepipe, Not impossible, but a challenge.

If it were me, I'd want a oil cooler off a earlier LQ1 to help with the additional heat regardless if you do a oil only or a oil/water cooled turbo, I think by 95' that wasn't available but a earlier one should bolt on.

I think there is some support on your PCM but you may be better served moving to a 96' PCM so you get full OBD 2 and at least one option for tuning. I don't claim to know much in that department, others will know more then me.

Either way you'll be the one learning how to dial it in unless you pay someone else to do it and give them everything they need upfront.

Like others said its custom, custom, custom. Its not the easy road by any means.

I know I keep going back and fourth on the 3800 swap but. I love the lq1. I have decided that I will eventually do both hahaha my next grandprix will be a 3.1 and I will swap it to the 3800 motor but still have this turbo lq1 if I can find a expert installer close to help me fab up everything. So far I have location figured out and relocation of certain things. Everyone here as been very helpful so far. I appreciate it forsure. The reason I hsve decided to turbo it is because I hsve alot of under body repair first so I hsve plenty of time to plan it out.

To add to your inquiry, everything is going to be custom.

Personally, if were in your shoes and a total novice at this stuff, as big of a fan of the LQ1 as I am, I would recommend an L67 and OBD-II swap. Way more straightforward, way less custom fab, way more bolt-on and go swap parts.

And I was thinking I could buy a turbo kit for say a 3800 and fab it to adapt to my 3.4 and woukd have most the parts I need minus a good bit of rework.

Nope, it wouldn't work that way. The 3800 and the 3.4 are completely different engines. The exhaust ports are different, the way they bolt on are different, the kit wouldn't work because the piping would be too different. If anything, you're better off getting universal turbo piping, cutting to fit and getting a turbo from a junkyard. The junkyard is littered with Volvos and Saabs that have Turbos. 

Eh, he could reuse a lot of the stuff. Piping and couplers are universal, as are FMICs and the turbo itself.

If i was going to dick with a junkyard turbo, I would go with an HX35 off a Cummins Ram. The diesels guys let them go cheap. Stuff on a Volvo or Saab is going to be way too small. 

Well I found a universal kit for 500 with a t3 t4 turbo. Probably use that possibly. I'm only a novice when it comes to turbos and performance. I can make just about anything run. Started on go carts went from there.I have swapped motors and Tranny before used a 95 4.0 pUT it in a 99 forums said it couldn't be done I did it anyways. Works great lol.and my family has drag racers I'm not as much of a fan of bolt on mods as I am making the engine itself better. I wouldn't make multiples threads for this topic. More things as in how would ob2 open me up for the other tranny without the l67? I know there is a thread for obd2 swap so I will go in there for that.but also i seen around gooogle talk of colder spark plugs? Thats something i have never heard and i wanted to get more details about the 96 to 97 intakes which will help rhe turbo setup eventually. And would 30 ibl injectors help now with a stock motor or just over fuel my engine. Or if i got a perfomance ignition (msd) coil to spark plugs. And a cold air intake woukd I be utilizing the bigger injectors? Or woukd I need to wait till after the obd2 swap to really use those injectors? Really appreciate the help and opinions guys. But all these questions is why I wanna make a couple different threads to keep each one separate so they don't get lost in each other.

Organize your thoughts into itemized, coherent posts here. We will follow your thread and help you. Read the book I recommended on the previous page. It's going to explain 90% of what you're asking in regards to plug heat range, injector size, etc. 

OBD-II will allow to run the stronger 4T65E transmission (which also has mountains of aftermarket support).

$500 turbo kit = Chinese garbage off eBay. Research what you need and proceed to buy once/cry once. 

The 96-97 intakes flow better, and give you a more conventional throttle body setup, which is easier to work with when you're fabbing custom stuff.

Do not put big injectors in your car until you have some way to tune it.