Parts Car: What would you pay?

MemphisMan

I saw a 1995 vert for sale. Identical car to mine with the exception of not having a CD player. The body looks very straight and it doesn't appear to have any rust. Car is 100% complete and drivable. It has a new top, but the rear curtain needs to be replaced. It runs, but seller says it needs a tune up from sitting. 113K miles. I don't know if timing belt has been changed. Seller says it leaks either tranny or power steering fluid after being driven. Asking price is $1500. I wouldn't pay $1500 for a parts car, but it got me thinking about how much people would be willing to pay (or have paid) to have a parts car. Every time I see a vert on the JY thread, it makes me wonder if I should try and get a parts car now since I don't see myself ever getting rid of my vert.

I'd probably pay ~$800 for a rust free, running, complete twin of my car in the condition of the one I'm considering. Here are the pics of it.

post-3600-0-44829000-1504802994_thumb.jpgpost-3600-0-55036400-1504803013_thumb.jpgpost-3600-0-17600700-1504803025_thumb.jpgpost-3600-0-21576700-1504803036_thumb.jpg

How much would you pay for a parts car?

I think I am missing why this is parts? Is it a title issue?

I imagine if the color is the same as yours, the value is certainly there.

Edited by vipmiller803
  • Like 1

Up north that's a $3500 car, the south works differently.

I would gladly pay $2,000 for any rust free Vert around 100k miles. A rust free parts car like that I wouldnt mind paying $1500. That car is too nice for a parts car.

If you search on Craigslist there are a ton of rust free cars, figure $1000 or less for shipping. $1100 was Sacramento to Erie not running.

I've bought two really rusty Cutlass's for parts, one a sedan and one coupe.  Both are International series cars.  I paid $300 or $350 for the sedan and $700 for the coupe I think, can't remember exactly but not over $800 for either one.  I needed them primarily for interior and some body trim plastic parts and whatever else.  Wasn't concerned with body condition, just International stuff.

There isn't a title issue. The guy is just selling it. He says it needs a tune up, but that can mean anything. This might be too nice for a parts car, but if I could get it for a good price that's exactly what it would become. If I were to get this, I would keep it in my storage shed and out of the elements. Sad thing it would see less weather than my current vert.

Having an extra vehicle you can pull parts from anytime is worth it. Especially if you plan on driving that vehicle for a long time.

Yeah, it's almost like buying an insurance policy up front. I'm in contact with the seller so we'll see how it goes.

If you have the parking for it and are a real fan of these cars I`d go for it and put a few hundred into a regular top and tune up then just take turns driving both, split the mileage. Then for that rare oh shit occasion when you need a specific CS part, you have it on hand until another can be sourced.

I couldn`t buy a parts car coupe or vert, I`d end up trying to fix it. That being said I wouldnt spend more than $2k on a 1st gen unless a TGP but it could only be one owned and cared for by another member here.

If you have the parking for it and are a real fan of these cars I`d go for it and put a few hundred into a regular top and tune up then just take turns driving both, split the mileage. Then for that rare oh shit occasion when you need a specific CS part, you have it on hand until another can be sourced.

I couldn`t buy a parts car coupe or vert, I`d end up trying to fix it. That being said I wouldnt spend more than $2k on a 1st gen unless a TGP but it could only be one owned and cared for by another member here.

Verts are like superpowers, they come with GREAT responsibility. Having one would be awesome, having two might be a tad overwhelming.

• Like 2

Verts are like superpowers, they come with GREAT responsibility. Having one would be awesome, having two might be a tad overwhelming.

Yeah, my wife wouldn't be patient enough with me to keep two of them running. I'd have to almost guarantee that it would only be used for parts, with the only time I spend on it being pulling something off of it to fix my current one. Anyway, I don't have the time to maintain two of them the way I would want too.

That's not a "parts car".  It's worth what they're asking--depending on the engine "tune up" issues.

I paid $1100 for a '93 Lumina Euro 3.4.  Scalped the front fenders, hood, some trim, etc. to fix my long-term '92 Euro 3.4 which had been "totaled" by a kid who pulled out in front of me.

The parts-car ran so well, I turned the rumpeled '92 fenders upside-down in the back yard, and literally jumped up and down on them until the worst of the dents were pushed back out.  Re-installed the ugly fenders from the '92 back onto the '93 and drove the "parts car" for another 50,000 miles,until the head gasket popped and the trans failed.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have the heart to part a 95 convertible that nice! Low production, only year with the "new" dash and air bags and a regular rear seat. Maybe buy it, put it in your shed, and just hold onto it. Your wife may cave on the two car thing, who knows. Mine is slowly coming around (after 20 years) to nice old cars. All my cars are at least 20 years old (my 97 Cutlass Coupe being the youngster) and look and drive like new. I like not having a car payment!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a 1995 vert for sale. Identical car to mine with the exception of not having a CD player. The body looks very straight and it doesn't appear to have any rust. Car is 100% complete and drivable. It has a new top, but the rear curtain needs to be replaced. It runs, but seller says it needs a tune up from sitting. 113K miles. I don't know if timing belt has been changed. Seller says it leaks either tranny or power steering fluid after being driven. Asking price is $1500. I wouldn't pay $1500 for a parts car, but it got me thinking about how much people would be willing to pay (or have paid) to have a parts car. Every time I see a vert on the JY thread, it makes me wonder if I should try and get a parts car now since I don't see myself ever getting rid of my vert.

I'd probably pay ~$800 for a rust free, running, complete twin of my car in the condition of the one I'm considering. Here are the pics of it.

attachicon.gif00J0J_aR898hfFpfs_1200x900.jpgattachicon.gif00707_jpGtLKz29Tz_1200x900.jpgattachicon.gif00M0M_2eiZAbh2uGb_1200x900.jpgattachicon.gif00J0J_h63OMrpHryp_1200x900.jpg

How much would you pay for a parts car?

For this car id pay the 1500 im in Houston, Tx. Somebody would sell that car for 1750 no title.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk