Compressor Replacement + Vacuum Leak

bracohen

Hello, I am looking for advice on some repairs I need to take care of on my 1999 Lumina 3.1 LS.

My compressor leaks coolant, is there a preferred replacement brand? My understanding from what I've read on here regarding the installation is that removing the radiator is ideal. Anything else I should take into consideration?

When accelerating my A/C will change to the floor vents. I think this is the result of a vacuum leak. Can you guys give me an idea of where to poke around/diagram of what I should be checking?

Thanks!

hi there:

before you even get into the A/C system do you have the needed equipment to do the servicing?

Rockauto is an excellent source for parts,

a service manual is your best friend for making yourself familiar with where to look for problems & how to diagnose them, it REALLY is invaluable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-CHEVROLET-LUMINA-MONTE-CARLO-FACTORY-REPAIR-SERVICE-2-MANUAL-SET-/371850504288?hash=item5694046860:g:19gAAOSwNnRYi4V2&vxp=mtr

I would diagnose vacuum problems before messing with the AC.

If you have a large vacuum leak, then the reduced vacuum with open throttle might push it over the edge enough for the vents to change. Diagnosing vacuum leaks can be done using an unlit propane torch. Run it along all vacuum lines and connections while listening for a change in engine speed/idle quality. A large enough leak will also set a code on an OBDII system like yours. Is your SES light on?

Another concern: Have you had your lower intake manifold gaskets replaced? Does the leak seem to get better with the engine hot?

If a check valve exists in the system, that may be a culprit. You can remove it and test it by blowing through it manually.

hi there:

before you even get into the A/C system do you have the needed equipment to do the servicing?

Rockauto is an excellent source for parts,

a service manual is your best friend for making yourself familiar with where to look for problems & how to diagnose them, it REALLY is invaluable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-CHEVROLET-LUMINA-MONTE-CARLO-FACTORY-REPAIR-SERVICE-2-MANUAL-SET-/371850504288?hash=item5694046860:g:19gAAOSwNnRYi4V2&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the tips. My A/C system is empty, was planning on installing the replacement kit and then having it recharged by a shop. Are there other things I should be doing?

I would diagnose vacuum problems before messing with the AC.

If you have a large vacuum leak, then the reduced vacuum with open throttle might push it over the edge enough for the vents to change. Diagnosing vacuum leaks can be done using an unlit propane torch. Run it along all vacuum lines and connections while listening for a change in engine speed/idle quality. A large enough leak will also set a code on an OBDII system like yours. Is your SES light on?

Another concern: Have you had your lower intake manifold gaskets replaced? Does the leak seem to get better with the engine hot?

If a check valve exists in the system, that may be a culprit. You can remove it and test it by blowing through it manually.

The SES light is not on, I'm not sure on the gaskets and the engine temp does not seem to impact anything. The only reason I noticed I might have a leak was the change in vents, car runs relatively smooth.

It sounds somewhat simple to *replace the compressor*, but when one opens up the system there are other procedures that need to be addressed as well,

the volume of oil for the new compressor needs to be measured from the oil in the old compressor, the accumulator will need to be replaced as well as servicing the orifice tube.

There is a certain amount of oil that will need to be added for the sake of new items seeing as those items are shipped dry.

The *new* compressor should be *by the book* installed into a completely flushed system to ensure that there is NO debris in the system that can cause the new compressor to fail.

All of the connections that are opened will need to see new  O-rings installed, do not use the old ones, recrushing them can cause them to fail, which down the road can lead to doing the  O-rings all over again due to the loss of refrigerant.

Not trying to scare you off.......just making you aware of what you need to do.........

I replaced my AC compressor last year. The front shafts seal was leaking. I changed the orifice tube and flushed the system clean. Replaced the o-rings and was able to rent the hoses and vacuum pump from autozone. I bought an AC Delco compressor and it works great now. It's a pretty big job to do, but if you do it correctly you can sve yourself a lot of money. Get a service manual if possible and follow the directions closely. Also make sure you don't have any leaks. If done correctly you should be good to go for a long time.

A common problem with the V5's

the shaft seal and the compressor body seals themselves have been the issue with every V5 system I've come across outside of something actually damaging the  condenser to point of leaking.