Radio/CD/Cassette Player Needs Removal

bluecalais79

Quick question, the radio in my 1996 Cutlass Supreme I just bought needs to be serviced. Are there any special tools and or tricks to prying off the surround that covers the radio without breaking anything? Mine is in 100% mint condition, not so much as a scratch on it, and I'm hoping I can keep it that way as that surround is a very large piece, thanks

Just drop the tilt wheel down to the bottom of travel, then gently pry (fingers work well) all around the surround a little at a time.  The only tricky part is to watch carefully around the column, that rubber surround is held together at the bottom with a little pin built into the piece, gently pry it apart.  Then, disconnect the lighter socket, and lift up away from the steering column.  It's not difficult at all.

Good luck with the repair...I didn't have much luck with the one that was in my '95, so I bought a new one from these guys.  Never had a moment's problem with it in 5 years, and it's the exact stereo that came in the car new.

http://replacementradios.com/oldsmobile-1994-2000-cd-cassette-radio-09376173-p-50.html

Thanks for the advice and especially thanks for the lead on the radio, In fact I just bought a new one from them, I figured why mess around. I only want to do this job once.

• Like 1

Be careful with the headlight switch knob too. When you're working off the part of the cluster surround (because it's so deep), it rubs on the knob. One way to avoid this altogether is to unbolt the steering column, which lowers the steering wheel down until it rests on the seat bottom. It's an extra step, but all it involves is removing the plastic knee panel, which is 4 8mm screws, then unbolting the 2 or 4 bolts that hold up the steering wheel. It takes less than 5 minutes to do it then the dash bezel comes out much more easier. I had my dash bezel hydrodipped so I take the extra precaution not to scratch it.

If you want I can take a picture of the back of an extra dash bezel I have so you can see exactly where the spring clips are located.

• Like 1

Also, if wanted to go the extra step with a new radio, there's a store on eBay that adds either an aux port or Bluetooth capability to our stock stereos. For either option they will add the bt button or aux port directly on the faceplate or even better, on a pigtail that you could mount in the ashtray.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401126578140

Edited by MemphisMan

That would be great if you could take a photo of the back of the dash bezel, that would be a huge help, thanks, I'd like to see just where I need to carefully work this out of the dash. I did see the e bay site you mentioned above, but I passed on it in favor of getting a new unit per Galaxie500XL's lead. I've got no current need for an aux port, it was tempting but between the radio, cassettes, CD's I've got a lot of sound options as the ready. Thanks again, much appreciated!.

That would be great if you could take a photo of the back of the dash bezel, that would be a huge help, thanks, I'd like to see just where I need to carefully work this out of the dash. I did see the e bay site you mentioned above, but I passed on it in favor of getting a new unit per Galaxie500XL's lead. I've got no current need for an aux port, it was tempting but between the radio, cassettes, CD's I've got a lot of sound options as the ready. Thanks again, much appreciated!.

No problem. I'll get a pic of it and post it tonight.

Green indicates spring clips and just pull straight out. Red indicates the cigarette lighter wire and the rubber grommet. Both need to be disconnected to remove the bezel. post-3600-0-44398100-1502971831_thumb.jpg

Also, you'll see these little rubber pads all over the back of the bezel. They always want to fall off. 16 of them it looks like. I've lost a couple over time and miraculously my car still runs lol.post-3600-0-25203800-1502972134_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this, my new radio is on the way, I'll be tackling this task next weekend. I learned from my 79 Cutlass, when these radios croak don't bother to get them fixed, just get another one. Fortunately the 1996 I just picked up enables me to grab a new one. I don't have that option with a 79 Cutlass

The knobs just seem to fall off of these radios too. I can't count the cars I've seen for sale with this type of radio and missing knobs. Keep your old radio, if anything, just for the extra knobs. It has happened to me too...just got in the car one day, turned one of the knobs and it broke right off. Couldn't believe you could still buy a new Delco knob, but you can lol.

My NOS radio arrived earlier this week from Replacement radios, another thanks to Galaxie500XL for this lead, I am a stickler for keeping a car as bone stock as I can keep it, this radio certainly fit that bill. And for an NOS radio I think the price was fair as well. The car is still in the shop getting all the remaining bugs out of it due to being a sir-sits-alot for the last 10 years (brakelines, fuel lines, trans cooler lines, the whole gig). It's an Indiana car that has really low mileage bit was not an inside car. So I'll take a crack at installing the radio probably next weekend.

Also, my dad bought a 1964 Galaxie 500 new back then, that turquiose color. I never forgot that car. What I did forget that it was a 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. I'd like to forget that part again. No 8 cylinders back in those days for my cheap-skate dad. 

• Like 1

I miss my old Galaxie500xl..I drove it for 18 years.   Glad to hear that the quality of the radio is still good..the one I bought appeared to be absolutely unused. 

I'm still looking for an appropriate box to send the spoiler an strut brace to you...I've been on call for the helpdesk this weekend, which is 24 hour service. 

Why don't you get another?

I'd like to..yesterday I saw a gorgeous 500XL convertible being driven down the Interstate. 

Ok, all done, special thanks to Memphis man for the Installation tips and to Galaxie500 XL for the Replacement Radios link. I did make a few mistakes wherein I really should have dropped the steering column down at the start of the job. I did that after I realized I was going to scratch the living snot out of everything if I didn't when trying to get the surround back in. I did wind up putting in 2 very small scratches at the bottom by the radio, but one is not visible from driving. That's life. 

The NEW radio I bought works flawlessly and was worth the effort. I also used the opportunity to clean the plastic piece covering the gauges with a dose of Mequiar's PlastX so now that makes for a cleaner looking dash.

Those small rubber bumpers did indeed turn out to be a challenge as they kept falling off, in fact one would up being off and lost, it was found on the other side of the car so it now lives in the glove box.

• Like 2