Shifter cable disconnects

95GS

Get in the car, 20 miles from home, engine starts, floor shifter loose, tranny stays in Park.

Fortunately I had a flashlight and could see the cable, and was able to reach in and drop it over the pivot pin on the tranny shift lever. Drove straight home.

But why did the cable come off the shift lever?

Is there a clip to secure the cable onto the lever pin?

Thanks for the pics Imp - that's good to know. The cable came off spontaneously the other night.

I think the ball may have rusted down - feels like a straight pin with a waist.

The cable won't snap onto it - just sits in place atop the pin.

Can one replace the ball (& bolt) without removing the arm and messing up the adjustment?

i.e - does the ball unbolt from the arm?

Can this be done in place, w/o lowering transmission/engine?

Easy, just undo the nut on that thing and pry it off. It's keyed so a new one will only go on correctly. You will have to remove the air cleaner tube and crap to get to it. It's a 1 beer kind of job.

Edit: Oh and H-Body cars used the 4T60 until 1997 so lots of donors. I'm not going to say for certain a 4T65 one will work but I suspect it to be identical.

Edited by Imp558

Easy, just undo the nut on that thing and pry it off. It's keyed so a new one will only go on correctly. 

Thanks Imp - just to confirm - the nut secures the ball & stem to the selector arm - all visible in your pics.

(NOT the nut securing the selector arm to the tranny).

No, friction holds the cable to the arm with the ball and socket. The arm is on a stud that is ovalish with a nut on it. If your ball is screwed up you can remove the nut and pull the arm off and replace it in one piece. If I was still at work I'd snap a picture of it but if you look at yours the arm replacement is pretty straight forward.