Faded Supreme Bumper

Mstg007

Dumb question. The bumper has looked like this for years. The original color is red, but it looks like a dark pink. Any products that can bring it back to the original color?

Pictures would help...but generally, if it's faded to an entirely different color, painting is probably about the only good fix.

My red Cutlass Supreme bumper is original paint from 1995, is parked outside a lot, and isn't faded at all.   Although the UV isn't as strong here in Oregon, with the constant cloud cover.   What I'm wondering is if your pink/red bumper paint isn't original?   

On my old red fox-body Mustang convertible, I tried the red-tinted wax to help with faded paint.   It did seem to help a little, but I think it might have just been because the freshly waxed paint looked shiny, I don't know if it was really more red.    It's cheap and worth a try.

If the paint is looking pink from UV damage, then it probably would need a repaint.   But if it's looking cloudy because of the clear coat issues, that might be able to be buffed/polished.   I'd try to lightly wet-sand a tiny section of the pink paint, to see if there is good red paint underneath.   

I'd try rubbing compound, you might end up making it worse but if a quick fix like that doesn't work you're looking a tree painting anyway so it's not like it has anything to lose. maybe try a little bit in a spot that doesn't stand out.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for taking to long to post photos. I hope this helps some. Its not the normal black plastic oxidation thing that I can usually fix with turtle wax trim fader.

post-5948-0-81750600-1498653353_thumb.jpg

I bet some  time spent with a buffer and a polishing compound would help. You might have to start with something pretty aggressive to help restore the shine. 

I have used this stuff, and I think it does a pretty good job.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound-15-2/dp/B001O7PNNM

Then polish it.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G19216-Ultimate-Polish-oz/dp/B004HCOE8Q/ref=pd_sim_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004HCOE8Q&pd_rd_r=1CCXDRVNFZTCT7CSPBTW&pd_rd_w=umA0A&pd_rd_wg=ZzDNf&refRID=1CCXDRVNFZTCT7CSPBTW&th=1

After that put whatever type of wax on that you like. 

Edited by 94 olds vert