Q.: kickdown cable routing for 3.1 Vert

Billyvannuys

Hi,

Accelerator on '92 3.1 vert was very stiff. I left car with mechanic neighbor while I ran an errand. When I got back, my buddy was holding a burned kickdown cable in his hands (that he installed just two months ago). New one is ordered and buddy says we must add more insulation to it so cable will withstand being right against driver-side exhaust crossover. That doesn't sound right to me and buddy is not the brightest of bulbs in the lamp. I can't believe the cable is designed to rest against exhaust manifold or it would burn up every two months and the original lasted 24 years. Yes, cable has a small cylinder of insulation and foil where cable would be near exhaust, but since I was not there to see him remove it, I don't know what the designed configuration is and he currently has left exhaust crossover removed from the car while we wait for the part. Is there supposed to be a shield or a bracket to hold kickdown cable away from exhaust? Crossover still has its aluminum shield around it, but I can see where the cable melted against it.This friend is famous for forgetting little pieces and he may have lost whatever protection or bracket there may have been when he replaced the cable the last time. Yeah, I know, no judgement, please, he's all I've got. I can't find any images or diagrams showing how cable routes. But, I'd bet some of you have experience with this issue since many of you completely disassemble your entire cars. Please help. Thanks.

Edited by Billyvannuys