Fixed GP window going off track

Calvinator

1996 Grand Prix.

Just sharing, hope it helps someone searching.

My window was going off track:

Window Off track

(image credit = ToroToro)

I removed interior door panel to investigate.

Window lift motor and lift arm were working properly.

Inside the door there is a metal U-channel track the front of the window rides in. Looked OK.

There is another metal track the rear of the window rides in.  Easy to see this track from the outside of the door by the exterior door handle.  That track looks fine.

What I was noticing is the window was loose while sliding in the tracks.  The rear of the window would come off the rear track and causes the front window to come off track.

I pulled the window out and looked at the plastic framing of the window.  I noticed "nubs" that were worn down.  It appears these nubs keep the window tightly fitting in the channels.  The rear nub was really worn down and I suspected this is why it would not stay in the rear channel.

I circled the nubs:

GP Window Nubs

My fix was to add material to the nubs and build them up.  Since the frame and nubs were plastic, I used Plast-aid.  I mixed up a small batch and raised the nubs 1/16 of an inch. (btw, get yourself a plast-aid kit-- $20.  You need this when working on plastic stuff)

I put the window back in.  The rear nub actually snaps into the rear channel.  The front fits in the front channel snugly.

I tested the window and it works great.  Stays in track now.

I then lubed the tracks with Fluid Film.  Also sprayed down the lift arm, lift motor gear, and internal door sheet metal seams with Fluid Film for corrosion protection.  Get yourself a can of Fluid Film too if you don't have that stuff either.

Grr. Bringing back bad memories.

I remember those stupid folding guides that would pop back open when you installed the window into the track. Especially Dormans.

Hope your fix lasts