92 Cutlass Supreme Lost Keys / Ignition Lock cylinder removal?

sgjii

I have lost the keys to my 1992 Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L.  Been searching for days and I think I dropped them outside and someone has picked them up.

My dealer said it was "too old" to cut a key by VIN.

I can get AC Delco replacement lock cylinders with keys for reasonable prices for Ignition/doors/trunk from Rockauto ($60), the local chain stores($75ish), etc.

My problem comes with all of the instruction sets I find indicate that you have to have the key and rotate it to the ACCY position then remove the retaining screw, of course after steering wheel, turn signal switch, etc., point being the need for the key to start with.

No Key=No Rotation...

Local locksmith wants $400 to make keys and indicates removing the steering column, door handles/locks etc.  AAA locksmith wants $350 from me, after AAA subsidy for the same job.

Any suggestions on how to get the old lock cylinder out without a key ***OR*** where to get old key codes by VIN?

Thanks,

Stephen

The dealer should be able to make a key with the vin. I've swapped many ignition switches and never required a key though. You need a lock ring compressor to get all the way in though, AutoZone sells them cheap.

You could swap the whole steering column out if you can find one with keys at a yard...bit of a pain but would probably only run you 50 bucks...

I was about to post and say I had no problem getting keys cut for my TGP, but that was 8 years ago..  As far as I know, the key codes are still available in the dealer system.. might be worth a shot to call to some different dealers. They'd need to still have the old key punch tool to do it, though.

Back about 6 years ago I was able to get a new door key made for my 92' Euro that I never had one for.

But either way, I've changed lock tumblers because of not having the key before. Its not hard. Just pull the wheel, turn signal switch and then the tilt spring and its right under there.

• 2 weeks later...

I had two sets of keys cut for my 94 Cutlass last year at the dealer using the VIN. They had the keys blanks in stock.

• digitaloutsider locked this topic